Any / all advice required.

Thread: Any / all advice required.

Any / all advice required.

Where would be the best place to start with security?

I have (fairly) good knowledge of networking and how protocols work etc.
    But what resources would you folks recommend to begin with, in order to get more out of AO and learn more about security, security issues etc.
    What O/S would you recommend setting up on a home lab to play with.

I suppose what I am asking is where should I begin?

Thanks in advance

\"The crazy thing is, I get paid to do this\"

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Hi ,

Anywhere you feel you can pick in. For me ex. I have a home network with router - PC1 - PC2 -Laptop. PC1: Win xp, PC 2 : Dual Boot winxp - Linux RH8, laptop win2k.
    Well, I wanted to learn Linux as first and of course security.

Scroll down the Tutorial Forum, and if necessary you can choose the site search for more specific info. I think every forum is unique and usefull in its way.

Btw, the newbie faq's are excellent here !
    Come and check out our wargame-site @
    We chat @ #lobby

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Begin with reading the AO FAQs. This question has been posted many times before and there are many threads regarding this topic. Use AO's search feature. You will be amazed at what you can/will find.

Good luck on your hunt.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

You'll even find this site listed there as a link. Paul is a double CCIE (routing and switching, and security) and the page is a collection of links that he teaches in classes. I had him for Managing Cisco Network Security and it was a freaking awesome class. A lot of the stuff there is Cisco oriented, but keep going down towards the bottom of the page.

I've found this url to contain some good links. Happy hunting. I've found I also learn more when I keep a network analyzer open on my desktop, 'specially if I am on IRC ; )

Buffalo, Missouri USA
    To answer your question on OS...all of them if you want to be an expert. *nix is by far the most secure and best for IDS and such. Unfortunatly M$ WindBlows is the one that knowing will get you farther in the security profession
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Since you already have an understanding of the networking protocols, and OSI model and all, I'd next move on to understanding the different types of packets and analyzing them. Get a program called Ethereal. It is available for both m$ and *nix. I'm sure by now, you've heard about port scanners. Run a couple scans against PCs that you have and make sure that you aren't running services you don't need. There is tons of info about every service and you can simply google around to find out if you need it or if there are vulnerablilites with it.

There are also some good vulnerabliity scanners out there too. Neusses is a good one.

Read! There are tons of tutorials here and elsewhere that will help you.
    Read about IDS systems and firewalls, viruses, social engeneering, computer history, anything that you think of. If you come across something you don't know, write it down and go back and learn about it. Over time you will learn almost everything there is to know about security.

There are tons of books available. Go to your local Borders or Barnes and Noble and browse through some of them. AO has a product/book review section. You can read what other people at AO thought about them and if they are just a waste of money or not.

It is always a good idea to have a "test" box or two. Download programs and texts. Try to "hack" your own network where you will be able to monitor everything that is done.
    Just beware on what you are installing. Alot of the security downloads here on AO have viruses and you will end up formatting and reloading these test boxes frequently.

Have phun!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

my suggestion is anything and everything you can get your hands on.

google will become your best friend.
    "upgrading and repairing PCs" by scott mueller for your repairing needs
    have multiple systems with different operating systems and change them often.
    go in with the intention to mess them up and try to fix them.
    try to dual-boot everything.
    subscribe to newsletters from which you may glean information.
    every chance you get read tech and science news on anywhere you can to stay up to date.
    read fiction too because it demonstrates what the "commoner" thinks of the subjects.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?