Just got Red Hat 8.0 (question)

Thread: Just got Red Hat 8.0 (question)

Just got Red Hat 8.0 (question)

Hey all,

I'm really excited today because I got my new 40GB HD and version of Red Hat Linux 8.0. Now I can dual boot with either Windows XP or Red Hat! Horray ! In doing so with Red Hat, sense I am totally unfamilliar with the OS, I downloaded an audio driver from the site and was wondering where do I install it? Thanks to anyone in advance who can help. Also, does anyone know of some good books or websites that will help get me started on learning more about Linux? Thanks alot!

--Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hi, congrats for you linux decision.

The following sites will be of great help for you in the future.

www.antionline.com
    www.google.com
    www.linux.org
    www.redhat.org
    www.freshmeat.net
    www.linux.com
    www.opensource.org
    www.unixhideout.com

These sites will keep you busy and help you get started. Using these sites, you will learn many new sites that will help you on each individual problem that you might have. Make sure that you use the "man" pages provided on your system, since they are your most important source.

Good luck with linux.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

two more:

www.justlinux.com (which actually has several tutorials for getting your sound to work)
    and
    www.linuxquestions.org

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Also in our Tutorial forum, they're some neat tus on Linux.

Good luck, enjoy .

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

er0k
    edit instronics post >> www.bytekill.com will be able to help. And no this isnt an advertisement, just giving him/her another reference. Since we have a variety of people their in the forums/irc that you wont find on AO or especially google to help you realtime.

All right thanks,

er0k
    .: Shrekkie :.
    thread_killer
    instronics

Thanks for the tips guys, I spent all day just finding my way around and getting used to things. I hope that someday when I become the "ideal programmer" (heh heh) that I will be able to make full use of this OS. I will definatly make use of the sites and places that you all have suggested. Thanks again!
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...