Thread: Socket 7 question.

Socket 7 question.

I have an old Pentium computer running at 166mhz. I know that AMD K6-2 processors are socket 7 also, but I was wondering could I put say a 500mhz K6-2 processor in this comp? Will it accept it, or should I go with a 266mhz Pentium one? I know this is a dumb question, sorry. I have looked on the sites and they say nothing about it.

Exitrial

it really depends on the motherboard and what it will accept, super socket 7 ranged from early pentiums to K6, which is quite a range of processors 75mhz-500mhz, youd be better seeing if u can get a serial or a part number, or better a manufacturer, then google it to see if u can find a mobo spec, if the box has never been opened, search on(eg. packard bell 120 multimedia) and see if u can grab specs that way.

Preep
    (btw my OLD mobo which ran a 120mhz, wouldnt support a 200mhz processor)
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

I did a search on it and found out I am going to have to check and see what the voltage going to it is. It said for a K6-2 it has to be 2.0 or 2.1 volts. I also have to check the FSB speed and set it accordingly. I really apprecite the help preep, thanks.

Exitrial

Something you must bear in mind is that older motherboard won´t support SDRAM memories@100MHZ, when they support sdram, of course. Having FSB@66mhz is possible, but it´s far from exciting with a processor that can use 100. I wish my motherboard would allow me to set the fsb beyond 100MHZ.. :/ (I also own a k6-2)