Thread: how are "error" messages sent

how are "error" messages sent

At a recent lan party, some idiot was sending me obcsene messages that looked like system error messages- with the ok button and everything.
    Ive read there is some command to send these. Is there any way to prevent that? What is the command to send them?
    \"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand bianary and those who do not\"

Hi,

Mmm... it seems exactly as if he was using a trojan. Put your antivirus up-to-date and do a complete scan of your system to see what it founds.

Note: Remember that some trojans could avoid your antivirus software.

Good luck!!!

DKRR

er0k
    if it was at a lan party, and he/she had VisualBasic to use, it would only be too easy. Then he/she just has to send the message across the LAN. There is no "command" to do it. it takes coding power and an understanding of networks.

hrm.. if they're showing up with just an ok button, it's also possible that it's someone using the Windows Messenger Service. If that's the case then go to Administrative Tools (Control panel or start menu) --> Services and disable Messenger Service (XP/2K).

I suppose it could have been a trojan.
    Fortunatly, it wasnt my box- just a loaner (mine is impossible to move)
    Somwhere, I do seem to remember there was a way to do it with a simple command (not programming or anything)

I was sharing my entire drive on the network with no passoword, so that could have been part of it (cant trust anyone these days )
    \"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand bianary and those who do not\"

I suppose it could be a Trojan but I would wager that it was a simple net send.

Extended reading: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...n/net_send.asp

Take HTRegz advice and disable the Messenger Service
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

ive heard that as well as the messenger sevice in services, that some people also recommend disabling the RPC procedure call services, there are also other various services that are enable by default that you should disable as well, the main one being remote registry and universal plug and play

Banned
    prob "netsend" ... oh the fun they had using netsend back in high skool. ahh there is a way to disable this function but i never got into it that much.
    maybe someone else knows of this command?

Banned
    Yeah I've went into IRC and I've even had some of my MSN buddies play with netsend and MSN. The thing about netsending to MSN is... you'll only see a small white/blue looking box with letters and a OK button.

However if it had big X, ?, or ! simbols next to the message then it is most likely a trojan.

In VB you can add those to your messages like this:
    msgbox "HELLO WORLD",vbexclamtion
    Errm... I think most of wat I just wrote are typos but there are a few others besides the example show above all you have to do is add the comma to attach it to your message.

If you have the winsock componets on both the server and client set properly then you could even setup a chatroom or even FTP.

It's prolly Net-Send.....Google for a method to stop them, coz I know there is, I saw one just a few days agoe, but it was pictures, and they where too blurry to make out...sorry....still.....there is a cure.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.