Linux Graphics

Thread: Linux Graphics

Linux Graphics

Hello. I have RedhatLinux 8, but once it is installed, the graphics are horribly deformed. It's being installed onto a compaq with a s3 twister K graphics card. Which settings should I use/what should I do to get a "shiney" graphics interface?

well, they took away the xconfig utility from RH8, unless you upgraded from an earlier versioin... so the only way to really tweak it is to get to X to start with.

from console with root priv,

run

Code:
    XFree86 -configure
    this will result in a XF86Config.new file to be created.

you can test it by using

Code:
    XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new
    If all is well, you can use this and tweak it within X using the Display Settings function.

If not... head over to www.xfree86.org and make sure that you have the drivers that you need for your graphics card.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

This is just a passing thought, and one from 7.0, but have you tried different GUIs? My laptop has a very nice GeForce installed, great resolution and color. I load up Gnome, and it looks ancient, deformed colors and everything, horrible resolution. I re-installed twice trying to fix this (total re-format each time), to no avail. I load up KDE (2.0, I believe), and the difference is tremendous. Perhaps the same thing is happening to your computer, I honestly can't tell you.

But one idea is this: Linux, having usually older drivers, may not support the flat screen LCD on laptops very well, atleast not with the default drivers. Try downloading some new ones, and install them. (Look for RPMs)

Hope this helps.

Antionline Herpetologist
    It would be nice if you'd give us the entire name for your graphics card model. Searches for s3 twister and twister on the Red Hat Hardware Compatibility List turned up nothing. This means that either you missed something or your card isn't supported. Get back to us as soon as possible.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

you can also try

redhat-config-xfree86 it goes something like that. it is the replacement for Xconfigurator. I probaly got the command wrong. just look at the doc's on redhats website

I have an Nvidia Vanta card from like 4 years ago, and i use SuSe Linux 8.1 professional and man i gotta tell you, this has an AWESOME GUI and also has a killer command line so its got something for newbies and gurus alike, and alot of people say they dont like it cause its to easy, but this is actually a good thing, how else is anyone gunna start getting Linux to the mainstream if its not easy to use? most people are coming from Windows which is point and click, well, if Linux has more point and click more people wont mind using it, AND THEN WE CAN TAKE OVER THE WORLD MUAHAHAHAHAHA (lol sorry, Tux put something in my coke lol) and ohhh ohh ohh *looks at number of posts* i do believe this makes my 275th post

you can test it by using

code:
    XFree86 -xf86config /root/SF86Config.new
    Just a bit corrections : XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

sweet_angel:

Thanks for the correction. I somehow missed that in my proofreading. Hey, nobody is perfect.

Thanx again!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.