restraining order question

Thread: restraining order question

Question restraining order question

Okay, I try my best to stick to tech questions, but I am at a loss on this and figured I would ask for help here since there are so many uses with different areas of knowledge and experience.

A friend and I were discussing restraining orders, and came across a scenario in which a mother wanted to prevent a friend of her sons from having contact with him, but without any real reason other than she did not like the friend. To make the whole thing more puzzling, the son is 19, making him of legal age. Can the parent actually do that? or would the fact that the son was 19 make it impossible?

Also, I might as well go on and say that it wasnt really a converstation with a friend that brought this about, but it was the only way I could get myself to start typing it up in the New Thread page. Any help, advice, or anything else is greatly appreciated.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    If the person is over 18, then only the person himself could get that kind of order. The mother can do nothing about it. The important question is though.....how will it affect the relationship betweem mother and son if the son keeps seing this "friend" knowing that his mother doesnt want it at all cost???

I think legally, theres nothing that can be done.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Arrow restraining orders

As far as I recall, a restraining order can only used by someone if they have a proper legal reason.A guardian can only request for it / if that mothers son who's 19 was medically not fit to make his own decision and if the mother had proper legal reasons for applying it.

But I dont get this:

Also, I might as well go on and say that it wasnt really a converstation with a friend that brought this about, but it was the only way I could get myself to start typing it up in the New Thread page

Dr_Evil

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies

dr evil > pretty much im stuck in this situation myself, but I have a hard time letting others in on stuff to help me, so I had to kind of lie to myself to start typing the post up.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

It's alright, no probs Syini666,

You know, I think it's cool, the way u describe you location !

Daughters of The Stars !

Dr_Evil

Syini666: I'm no expert, but have gone thought a couple of these with people who were harassing my sister.

If the person in question is 18 year old, then that person would need to file for the restraint. If there is no legal reason, most likely the restraint will be denied. You can't get a restraint against someone unless there is a reason. Dislike for a person is not a reason. If someone is threatening another person, or there is reason to believe that harm could come to someone, then a restraint would be valid.

If someone is 19 years old, then that person has to legaly make all the decisions. A parent can't force anyone to do anything after 18 years of age.

In my case, my parents offer advise. If I choose to take it, then that is that. If not, then I learn on my own.

As others have said... this could have a negative impact on the mother/son relationship.
    But... what has to be realized is that, after someone is 18, they are responsible for their actions, not the parent. If someone of legal age does something to get them into legal trouble, there isn't much a parent can do, except help find a good lawyer and help with court costs... if they are lucky.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.