Thread: 802.11g

802.11g

Has anyone begun to use this?
    I would be intrested in data supporting it or not supporting it.
    some real life prodution data.
    God save the President and his fascist regime!

We're starting to bring a couple of .11g access points up. What would you like to know about them?

Are they as fast as i am told? is the range any better? Does it pass trough walls better? is the sec better?
    God save the President and his fascist regime!

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    from my understading.....

it is faster then b
    but the range is less.
    and the encryption is the same

802.11i is supposed to have better encryption and range... I don't have much information on it right now though.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

assembly.... digital dna ?

Well, as far as the speed goes, yes there is a difference. We just started putting them in a week ago, so I don't have any "hard" evidence yet, but I will. I had (and still have) 3DES tunnels running across my .11b WAPs, as well as WEP, and the .11g WAPs we put in pass the crypto maps just fine. Everything so far has been in fairly "ideal" conditions, so I can't really report on the stress testing of the network. That should change this spring, however, when we put up some .11g WAN shots. I'll be happy to tell you how those work out. Wish I could be a little more help. One really great thing though is that the .11b and the .11g do talk to each other just fine. I was quite glad of that. We're using DSSS points, I'd like to try some FHSS WAP's, in .11g, but I'm not even sure where to get those yet.

*note to self-----try to find FHSS .11g WAPs.

What brand or adapters/APs are you using thread_killer?
    I'm looking at buying a wireless adapter for my laptop, mainly for accessing networks at other locations (and eventually at home). I might also be doing some site surveys and such (war driving? nah! well perhaps some passive listening just out of curiosity but ) and as so I really want to get a card that has the best capabilities... I've heard cisco aironets are pretty good for this. Any comments on that? I was also wondering if it was worth it to look into .11g cards but from posts here it would seem so...

Any advice?

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

I've found a page that might interest some of you

Howto on sniffing a wireless network with a Cisco card. (written in open1x project)
    http://www.cs.umd.edu/%7Enpetroni/airo.html
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]