Thread: Modprobe problem

Modprobe problem

Hey all

Am new to networking. When i used to network a machine using mandrake linux 8.2, with a NIC from realtek using a switch, and when i run the configuration tool, i got an error like

modprobe: can't locate eth0

The OS finds my card and installs appropriate driver without problems, but in control center , it is not connecting to the domai.

When i used the same machine using win98, it can't connect to the domain controller, but the switch shows activity.

may be i don't know am specifying some incorrect data, but as i already said, am new to networking.

I read some of the tutorials on AO last week on networking, but what i am looking for is a step by step tut on how to configure a network (may be win 98 machines connected to a win 2000 advanced server or NT 4.0) . or anybody can point to some links (I think there will be some in AO itself, but i can't find one).

Thanks
    God is Love

Hi,

Normally when modprobe gives that output, it measn that there is not a kernel module available for the specific ethernet.

try the following

# updatedb
    # locate rtl8139

See if that comes back with any *.o files, if it doesnt it means that the support for your realtek ( eth0 ) has been built into the kernel.

If the above is true, all you need to do to bring up the ethernet is... for example...

# ifconfig eth0 192.168.100.1

failing that you will have to download the kernel source, and build the kernel and kernel modules to support your ethernet.

With regards to networking, see the www.sans.org - there are several guides and tutorials available.

-Ancile
    God / Root..

....Whats the difference?