SuSE Installation Help

Thread: SuSE Installation Help

Angry SuSE Installation Help

After a bad run with RedHat 8, I'm trying to install SuSE 8.1 Personal. Everything starts to go perfect, but when it gets to the part where you set the root password, the keyboard doesn't work. (I have a laptop). The keyboard isn't even active, caps lock doesn't even turn on. I tried to install it in the safemode but I still get the same thing. Everything is active but the keyboard. Any help?

What kind of laptop do you use?
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Compaq persario 2105US

http://www.suse.com
    go here man, they have a hardware compatibility data base, do a few searches and see if you can find your laptop, may just be a driver thing, also if that doesnt get you any farther, grab the thingy that holds the 7 CDs and 1 DVD in the box abd look on the back and grab the support number, you can e-mail SuSe and tell them about it in case they have a few more options, be very descriptive and youll need that number so make sure you have the CD holder handy, then mail them and youshould get a conformation mail or 2 to make sure the e-mail address you supply works, then hopefully all will be good in Linux land for you (anything i can do to help someone use SuSe, hehe ) hope evrything works out for you man.

Alright, well, I plugged in a USB keyboard and it works. I typed in an admin password and typed in my account and set up my stuff. But when it goes to boot up, it gets stuck on "starting kernel PCMCIA". It's frozen, I let it sit for 10 minutes thinking it was just...thinking, but nothing happen.

Any tips?

Do these sort of installation things happen to everyone, or did I just get lucky?

And I thought Linux was suppose to be easier to use than Windows

oh and also, I tried calling the US helpline, but I got german...then I tried the other one, got UK. Then I called the one the website told me to call, and I get a "Cannot be completed as dialed" message from the company i'm trying to call. Couldn't really figure out the website either...bah

Heres a site that helped me with Linux instalation on my old HP notebook. It has a list of plenty of vendors and specific models. If yours isnt listed find one with similar features. At the time mine wasnt listed but the other listings helped with my problems good luck.
    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

Didn't see my laptop, but thanks anyway

Did you look for a similar persario with just about the same features cause a little extra info could never hurt
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"