Trojan Scam????

Thread: Trojan Scam????

Question Trojan Scam????

Recently I downloaded a shareware program by Antiy to scan my system for spyware, trojans, etc. The scan came up with a trojan named "mirpan..."(sorry at school at don't have full name). I did a full sytem scan after verifying norton av was up to date(i do this daily, manually) and an symantec online scan-the results said my box was clean-The program came from cnet and told me I had to register to allow the program to remove the trojan-I looked up the exact trojan name on google and there were NO hits. Is this a scam to get me to register or do I need to take other steps-I also checked my firewall and no programs other than the ones authorized attempted to access the 'net-
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Hi jxrry59. I was not able to find anything about mirpan, but you may want to use the Sophos site to check for hoaxes in the future. I don't know about you, but I get emails about virii and trojans all the time. I like to be able to check to see if it is a real threat to my network. I stumbled upon this site while researching a virus/trojan. I also checked on Google for "mirpan", and I came up with next to nothing. Sorry I couldn't help more.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

strange..

Hmm you're using a firewall and it didn't report anything? You could configure it to block everything unless you decide to allow. Another thing you can do is to go to the command prompt while connected and type netstat -an and check if you are listening to something.. be careful, your firewall may have open doors to communicate with itself (but not with the rest of world.. now breath.). You may also want to download another trojan cleaner, like tfaik. Anyway, from the start menu, chose run and type msconfig there. check what is being loaded when you boot your computer. Remove anything strange. Btw, if you discover where is the file, just delete it.
    Oh, something I forgot.. it's possible that no connection attempt have been made yet.. or this trojan is nothing but a false alarm..

I am pretty sure it is a hoax to get me to register the program but the more time i spend on this site the more paranoid i become-after reading a forensics post I overwrote my disk freespace 105 times about 6 hours

I did a search aswell but come up empty handed. But it's always possible that it can be a macro-virus, and the name "mirpan.."something" is the name of a infected macro..

Most likely is that this is a hoax or whatever, but to be sure check with other tools aswell.

Example of two good free online av scanners (you can find more if you search Google or/and AO).

PandaSoftware - ActiveScan
    TrendMicro - HouseCall

~micael

You might want to try the search on a different search engine! It was originally stated that he didn't know the full name, hence the mirpan..something. If I am not mistaken google searchs for exact matches and does not return results for words such as "mirpanmorelettershere" when the word mirpan is the term searched for.

I used the exact name on google but i posted from school and couldn't remember the extension. I have since done about 6 different scans including symantec online and 3 full system scans and two with other detection programs.
    So the truth is that the program that detected the trojan is the best or they were scamming me for the money to register the program at which point they would remove it.
    I keep no personal info on this computer, my firewall logs are clean, no new programs are running so I won't sweat it. I am meticulous as I can be about keeping this 'puter clean and if it is a scam ( i still give them the benefit of the doubt) it is a lousy way to do business.

I tried looking I tried looking mirpan up with no success. But I think you are using the wrong tool. Virus scanners are fine for viruses, but trojans, spyware, RATs, keyloggers, and other pests aren't viruses. Try Pest Patrol. I have used it for some time now. It identifies and either deletes or quarentines pests. I have gotter rid of trojans, and spyware with it.

The complete Windows Trojan Paper

That was all folks!
    http://www.virusinfo.bz/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi