Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Net now more important than TV ?

Question Net now more important than TV ?

Hey Everyone,

==Quote=========
    About 61 percent find the Net "very" or "extremely" important as an information source, concludes the third annual nationwide survey on the Internet being released Friday from the University of California at Los Angeles
    ================
    more here http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

So whats your take on this ? do you beleive its more important or just as important as conventional TV,papers etc for info ? i'd agree for the most part just as long as know you going to reliable sites for your info.

GreekGoddess
    I use the internet as a source for most of my info because everything I need is at my fingertips. I can sift through newspapers in China to find something out that I couldn't by changing the channel on my television. Television never really held my interest much, I use it mostly for local news, cartoons, movies, and playstation, and really...for all of those things, I maybe watch TV a total of two hours a week. The rest is reading, playing with the animals, and of course, being online.

No matter where the news is coming from, whether it be TV or the Internet...I'm most likely not going to watch an offbeat channel or go to a .tk domain for important information. I go to trusted sites, popular and unpopular as a source of news and try to get a well-rounded picture of what's going on around me. And even then, I tend not to believe everything I read. As I certainly don't believe everything I hear.

i haven't owned a tv in almost four years, normally if my computers can't keep me entertained then it's a safe bet the tv won't either. as far as getting news, i get 3 news papers delievered and i have a dozen or so sites i check at least once a day. i doubt i've missed anything.

the only show i care about is the simpsons anyway, and part of my ritual is watching it at my friends place for as long as i can remember
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

I only get news outside of the net to verify the info-I use the net to get info that isn't slanted by my own goverment and I get a better "feel" about the mindset of the larger world.

Now I spend so much time reading on this site I get my news from AO's chitchat!!!!!lol
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Old Fart
    I have long held the belief that the internet will eventually REPLACE television as we know it. At this moment my DSL provider is putting together a system where they will be delivering cable tv service via the telephone lines along with broadband internet access.....which means the lines between the two are already starting to blur from my personal POV.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I prefer the 'net. I can cross-reference/research news items...get up2date news from varying points of view and discuss it in a variety of online venues as well. Or I can even join a community (like I did here) where the news, chat, etc. is tailored to my interests. The tv holds very little attraction for me.

Originally posted here by allenb1963
    I have long held the belief that the internet will eventually REPLACE television as we know it. At this moment my DSL provider is putting together a system where they will be delivering cable tv service via the telephone lines along with broadband internet access.....which means the lines between the two are already starting to blur from my personal POV.
    I agree completely. Recently, I read a great article on the grid computing concept and one of the things discussed was the posibitiy of downloading a movie (legally) or a TV content. You would also be able to share your processor power during down time (rent the space).

The article was in one of the following sources: MIT Technology Review, Information Weekly, Newsweek, the Wallstreet Journal or Scientfic America (links below) but I am unable to find it -but I read it in the last 12 months

http://www.technologyreview.com/
    http://www.informationweek.com/
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/NW-front_Front.asp
    http://online.wsj.com/public/us
    http://www.sciam.com/

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Net now more important than TV

I used to watch TV all the time. At the present I use my internet access for almost everything I do. I research medical terms and medicine interactions, download jokes, e-mail my friends, use the search engines, keep my calender and reminders on it and talk to people in irc. I only watch TV for news and also an hour before bedtime . It has become my personal assistant, mail program , etc and has replaced TV by 95%. I thnk the future possibilities of its use would amaze us all Auntie
    For hundreds of years the brain was physically capable of the thoughts of a Galelio or an Aristotle among people who had not yet learned to count to ten. Much of that equipment is still unused and waiting.

Kwiep
    The time I'm not at my pc I could better be asleep... It would keep me alive longer.
    The only thing I really use a tv for is for watching the news every now and then (they select the nice 30 minutes for me) and watch a movie... I deffinatly spend more time at my pc then at the tv... There's is crap on the tv I don't want to see and at my pc I just have some popup kill programms and a adress bar were I can fill in exactly what I do want and what I don't want to see.
    Double Dutch

the computer and internet will replace everything eventually. this is mainly because we can choose what we want to do, unlike the tv where we have a limited choice in what we watch.

the computer and the internet lests us have full control over what we do and how we choose to do it
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----