Endless reboot requests

Thread: Endless reboot requests

Endless reboot requests

Hi All,

I wrote a script which contains the following 2 lines:
    cd\
    del *.trc *.log *.tmp

I must have run after a installation but prior to doing the reboot (I frequently skip that phase till the next morning since I shut down every night). When I reboot I get a pop-up saying cannot open install.log (not a fully qualified path it's a wise install titled pop-up) with an ok button. This would not be an issue except I cannot install m$ patches because it says the system needs to be rebooted. I removed all install.log entries from the registry. Can anyone tell me which key(s) to change in the registry so it does not think the system needs to be rebooted?

Thanks,
    -D

<EDIT>
    The attached is the m$ pop up I receive I could reboot and get the same message.
    </EDIT>
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Banned
    I let my friend borrow my reg book but goto here.
    There U will find the exact key. gl

Thanks for the great link -I read all 21 pages on w2k tips and tricks and found some great stuff but no mention on the key that makes windows think a pending reboot is required ;-(

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

The 'rebooting required' works like the following:
    Setup creates temporary files and registry entries.
    Next you reboot to make temporary things into permanent changes.

If you try to install an update fro Windows and prior to the reboot you delete the temporary files, setup cannot finish. This will cause damage the installation and may cause errors like the one mentioned. I'll reckon you will have to give the install another try.

If you would like the things that autostart to not do so I would suggest checking out the Run, RunOnce, RunServices etc keys.

You might try looking in your Start->Programs->Startup directory to see if there is a program in there that runs at boot time. The other alternative is to do a search on google for a utility that controls which programs run at startup - maybe that way you can kill the program that pops up that error message and if all else fails, then you might have to do the reinstall of the program like the others are suggesting.

noODle is completely right. the installation of such things creates temporary files, and stores them in the reg somewhere, saying reboot until these files are put into the registry. normally once the comp is rebooted the files are added to the registry, and no more reboots required. but cause you are deleting temp files practically before windows boots up, that reg entry to say reboot until files are put in the reg it sorta gets stuck into a loop. get rid of your scipt editing or just put rem at the start of the edited lines and a space. this skips those lines
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----