Korean group plans Slammer lawsuit

Thread: Korean group plans Slammer lawsuit

Korean group plans Slammer lawsuit

Hey all,

well poor M$ is facing yet another lawsuit awwww
    taken from the full story here

Microsoft may end up in court for not preventing the devastation caused by Slammer if a Korean rights group gets its way
    A South Korean rights group may take Microsoft to task for the carnage caused by the Slammer worm last month.

The People's Solidarity for Participatory Democracy (PSPD) is considering a class-action suit against Microsoft for not doing its utmost to prevent the widespread devastation of the bug, the Korea Times reported.
    Ummm psssttttt hey Korea, its M$ did you really think they were going to do the utmost to try and protect you ? protect and M$ dont really go together LoL

Plus, didnt the exploit that slammer used already had a patch available from Microsoft? Shouldnt it be partly the responsibility of the SQL admin to keep up on updates and patches? I understand that MS should of shipped a more secure product, but it is also the responsibility of the admin to keep his systems up to date.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

good points CXG I agree
    it even was stated that M$ issued warnings
    Although Microsoft said it issued warnings about the worm through emails and other public notices, we do not believe the company performed its duty to the fullest, considering it had a list of all SQL Server users," a PSPD representative said.
    so yes the admin(s) should of taken the steps towards having their systems secure if they had received this e-mail warning and had patches avalible to them

"Although Microsoft said it issued warnings about the worm through emails and other public notices, we do not believe the company performed its duty to the fullest, considering it had a list of all SQL Server users," a PSPD representative said. "

A list? Do they think that MS has everyones email (who uses SQL Server) and can email out a warning to all users of SQL? I think its a lame excuse for not patching your systems.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I am anti--M$ but even stretching a point, they can't be held responsible for something they provded the solution for.
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Yes but with as much as M$ has been in the news, and with the fact that a sysadmin who isn't doing their job will blame whoever they can to keep their job, I'm not surprised. I'm with you guys, I'm not a big M$ fan, I only use their stuff because that is what most decent applications run on. But still fair is fair, if M$ TRIED to do what they could, they shouldn't be blamed for not having a tech fly out to everyone's site that has an SQL server and do an update manually. I will be interested to see where this goes though.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]