Thread: Wirelss APs...Are you marked?

Wirelss APs...Are you marked?

Hey gang. We found some pretty scary stuff on a couple of sites. I will list them below:

http://www.wifimaps.com
    http://www.wardriving.com

With the first link, you can do a search to see if your WAP has been "marked." Also, it has maps - obvious by the name, I realize - that show you locations of reported WAPs down to the street names. As if that wasn't enough, it color codes encrypted and non-encrypted, and even gives you the SSID. If you don't already know about this, I would highly recommend going to these sites to check them out, or at least make sure your WAP isn't listed. If it is, change the SSID, add encryption if you don't have it...do something! The detail is amazing.

The second link is more of a wireless resource. There is a lot of news on it, but informative over all.

When you check them out, give me your opinions, initial reactions... Oh, and tell me if you just so happened to find your company's WAP listed. It's not just limited to Linksys, by the way. I know that's the most popular, but not the only one out there, of course.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    That first site....VERY cool! Mine's not listed!! Good find.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

WAP encrypted - not encrypted what does it mean?
    Uses of ipsec between AP & supplicant?
    (I don't jnow an other way to potect against Man In The Middle attacks! )

For those interested in 802.11 vulnerability, I'll recommand to have a look in the paranoid world of the open1x project author : http://www.cs.umd.edu/~waa/wireless.html
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Thanks, Networker, those are some informative papers/presentations. One of them, "Your 802.11 network has no clothes", I read last fall -- it has some really good basic info on wireless vulnerabilities.

Tim Newsham found a problem in the algorithm that some vendors used to automatically generate WEP keys. He also built code to perform dictionary attacks against WEP intercepted traffic.
    This sounded intersting but I didn't see any further information regarding this subject.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Networker: I know for the Linksys it would mean whether or not the AP uses WEP (64 or 128 bit) between the AP and the clients. Thanks for the link. I'll have to check that out.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

1st site, very informative, kinda spooky actually, found one in my small town. . . and like Mathgirl...woo hoo. . . mines not listed either....(phew)
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce