Thread: War Linux

War Linux

Over the last couple of days, we have been experimenting with War Linux 0.5. It's a portable "version" of Linux that was built to scan for Wireless APs. All you do is pop the CD in and boot up your laptop with prism2 compatible wireless card. There is no software to install since it runs completely from the CD. The command you use to get it running is ./prismsniff. It will pick up the SSID (if broadcasted) and the channel along with some other information I haven't quite figured out yet. I picked up about 4 WAPs while walking around my building today. The signal was so weak that it had to be neighboring buildings. The link is below.

War Linux

This is one of the many good tools available that can be used to detect rogue APs on your company's premises. All someone has to do is bring one in and plug it into a spare network jack. Once configured, it could allow someone to jump right onto your network without you even knowing it from outside of your building.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

We all know the truth behind war linux though. Kiddies will use this to hack their neighbors wireless networks. Hopefully this kind of thing will raise awareness of the security problems associated with wireless networking.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

er0k
    yeah but still, im sure the hardware and all that costs a pretty penny. Most kids wont be able to afford it. However, i can still see the vulnerabilties, but thats why u run nix and hide behind a NAT router wireless or not.

A simple WiFi card will set you back $ 100,- or something, so I do think it's well within the kiddies range..

WAR linux is kinda good, I tried it out for myself and I might even make you all a WAR driving howto (tutorial) if I find the time..

the_JinX co-founder of www.Beverwijk-Wireless.com (dutch only (except for the forum), sorry)
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Yeah, there's always a "Dark Side" to something good. Leave it to people to corrupt everything good. I would have to agree. The tools for something like this are not that expensive. The laptop is the most expensive thing, and you can go to a computer show and probably get a decent one (for the purpose) for around 300 or so. The wireless PC card is only 50 bucks. War Linux is free. Preacher: I agree about the awareness thing. That's the main reason for posting things like this, at least that's the way I see it. It goes along with the "Hackers Know the Weaknesses...." thing as well. It's all about learning.

Jinx: I'd like to see more Wireless tuts. Maybe I should get some information together for reseach and write one. Hmmmm....

Cheers

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile