win32 asm

Thread: win32 asm

Banned

win32 asm

I been playing with asm for going on 2yrs. It's fun, kewl and all of the above.
    just a simply example of how it code asm in win32

.model flat, stdcall
    option casemap:none
    include \masm32\include\windows.inc ;needed to call win API
    include \masm32\include\kernel32.inc
    include \masm32\include\user32.inc
    includelib \masm32\lib\user32.lib
    includelib \masm32\lib\kernel32.lib

.data
    MsgCaption db "Phaza7's AO",0
    MsgBoxText db "Win32 Assembly is Great!",0

.code
    start:
    invoke MessageBox, NULL,addr MsgBoxText, addr MsgCaption, MB_OK
    invoke ExitProcess, NULL
    end start
    complied in masm
    R there any asm coders on AO!
    if so I would love to hear from them
    which assembler do U use?
    I use masm and sometimes NASM, it's portable to Linux & Win

I took an Intel assembler course, and we used MASM. The most complicated thign we did was write two programs:
    One was for the user to input some student info for a course and write it out as a record, using a structure, to a floppy (and keep doing it until the user quit).
    The other read in the data and pulled out the last name and grade and printed it to the screen.

Not too exciting, but I did learn a lot from the course!
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

Thumbs up assembler

hi, ive used assembler in the past, although i havent dabbled in ages, assembler is by far THE hacking language, apps programmed in pure assembly are smaller and faster, u can access places other languages fear to tread, but the really cool thing about assembler is its capacity to be linked with higher level languages like c or c++.

The Iceman Cometh
    When I do assembly programming, I generally use (in Windows) MASM 6.15 (integrated in Visual Studio .NET) or MASM32 if I have to do Win32 programming (which I generally try to avoid) and (in Linux/UNIX), I use NASM. I also do quite a bit of MIPS programming (processor used in Palms, Playstation, SGI boxes, etc.), and for that I use either PCSpim 1.0 or XSPIM (in Windows and Linux/UNIX, respectively).

AJ

Antionline Herpetologist
    Don't get me wrong here, but doesn't calling Windows API functions in assembler make using assembler pointless? The functions themselves are coded in C. So whether you call the functions in assembler or C or VB (or anything else) makes no difference does it? The only time an assembly language program is going to run faster than it's C counterpart is when you code all the IO routines and other stuff yourself, am I right? Any thoughts on this?
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I learned assembler in the DOS world, where you used interrupts to read/write to the screen/files etc...
    I'm not sure you would get that much of a performance gain in Windows based applications in you chose C++/C over assembler.
    I guess one could write an assembler program, and evaluate the efficiency of the program and then write the same code in C/C++ and compile it to assembler and then evaluate that efficiency, but that seems like a bit too much work for me right now. If someone tries, let me know how it goes.
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

Banned
    R there any more coders on AO that dabb a bit or play with asm.
    and yes its possible 2 implent DirectX and OpenGL in asm
    Like 2 here from more AO'ers

Assembler is a great choice when you are trying to do a large job on a small machine. You have full control of the machine, and can even work with the operating system. These constraints no longer apply to micro computers. I have seen the capabilities of some of the 64 bit machines and they are awsome, mainframes on a chip. I have seen cabinets that hold 375TB for LAN applications.

I am an assembler programmer. I started in this business as a mainframe compiler designer. These days even compilers and operating systems are written in high level languages.

An assembler tutorial is great. You will never be closer to a system than when you are programming in assembler, but I don't see a market for assembler programmers lasting past the 1st half of the 21st century.

Assembler represents the sharpest tool at a programmers disposal, if creating new apps were simply a sucsession of calls to the OS, programming would be childs play.
    Assembly language can do anything any other language can do, since most other languges are built using assembler, there is one thing assembler can do that C cant, build a device driver.

I helpt out on a nice (*nix) wave player, that could play raw wave files..

it was like 8kb in total (assimilated) and could play files up to 64MB (we had to define a limit )
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !