Are you looking to learn/experience *nix? - sdf.lonestar.org

Thread: Are you looking to learn/experience *nix? - sdf.lonestar.org

Are you looking to learn/experience *nix? - sdf.lonestar.org

Hey Hey all..

I ran a quick search and this came up once as a single post in an old thread but without much detail. So I thought I'd throw this up.. Anyways here's my post.

I've noticed a lot of people, especially new users asking about *nix, if it's better and so on. I feel the best way to learn is experience yourself, but for a lot of people this is not always an option. This is where shells come in. Shells are great because someone else gives you access to their box so you can learn. I maintain my access to a few shells, both paid and free access shells, in order to test compiles on various systems and such, another plus even if you have your own system with *nix on it.

Anyways the meat of this post is on sdf.lonestar.org. I've used their free services, yes that's right.. they'll give you a shell for free, for a while, and I rather enjoy them. I decided to validate my account for $5 USD, this got me pretty much a full account, 15mb of webspace w/ username.freeshell.org as my addy, 15mb of email space (with webmail access) and 15mb of storage. Now i like shells for IRC, for the purpose of hiding from script kiddies. so for $36 USD I got myself a Lifetime ARPA membership which includes irc, ftp, ssh and telnet. This means i'll have my shell as long as SDF is around, and since they've existed since 1987 I don't think they're going anywhere. Along with the additional apps, i had more choices for my domain.. so now i have username.theunixplace.com as well as 75mb for mail, 75mb for httpd and 75 storage. the httpd also includes php and is relatively cheap if you want to add mysql access.

Anyways just wanted to throw in my two cents and give you all an option, a relatively cheap option, to learn linux and get yourself some good webspace without having to use your own machine. To create a pre-validated account just telnet to sdf.lonestar.org and go from there.

Peace
    HT

Get a free SHell accoutn with Compaq/HP...
    http://www.testdrive.compaq.com/
    Accounts on over 50 *nix / windows / ipaq / etc... all for free...

it's really cool, and i've learned quite a bit running over 4 types *nix style OS's :-)

test drive news
    January 30, 2003
    The Test Drive Program is pleased to announce the availablity of OpenBSD 3.2 on our systems. We have OpenBSD 3.2 running on an AlphaStation XP1000, which has a 667 MHz EV67 processor and 2 GB of memory, and a ProLiant DL360 with two 1.2 GHz Pentium III processors and 2 GB of memory. Both systems have pleanty of space in /tmp for speedier compiles. Many thanks to our friends at DaemonNews for helping this to happen. Learn more about OpenBSD, or sign up and see how it runs!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 30, 2003
    We have just upgraded our NetBSD on x86 Test Drive system to a ProLiant DL360. This system has two 1.2 GHz Pentium III processors, 2 GB of memory, and over 25 GB of space in /tmp for local compiles. Learn more about NetBSD, or sign up and give it a try!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 20, 2002
    We have just added Turbolinux Enterprise Server 8 to Test Drive. Turbolinux Enterprise Server 8, which has just been released in Japan, is the first UnitedLinux offering from Turbolinux, and we have it running on a ProLiant ML570 with four 700 MHz Intel Pentium III processors and 8 GB of memory. Learn more about Turbolinux Enterprise Server 8 from Turbolinux, or sign up and try it out for yourself!

December 18, 2002
    We are pleased to announce that we have upgraded three of our Tru64 UNIX Test Drives to Tru64 UNIX 5.1B. Now you can try Tru64 UNIX 5.1B on a quad-EV68 AlphaServer ES45 and a dual-EV68 AlphaServer DS20-L. In addition, we have also installed it on our dual-processor Alpha EV7 prototype! Learn more about Tru64 UNIX, or sign up and try the latest and greatest version of Tru64 UNIX yet!

December 18, 2002
    We have upgraded our Red Hat on Intel Itanium II Test Drive to Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1 for Itanium. While this is a stand-alone system, and not part of a Red Hat Advanced Server cluster, it does have 1 GB of memory and a 1 GHz Intel Itanium II processor. This system also has almost 7 GB of space in /tmp for speedier local compiles. Learn more about Red Hat Advanced Server from Red Hat, or sign up and try out our newest Itanium II Test Drive today!

December 18, 2002
    We have added SuSE Enterprise Server 8, SuSE's first UnitedLinux-based offering, to Test Drive. You can try out this exciting new product running on a ProLiant DL360 G2 with 4 GB of memory and two 1.4 GHz Intel Pentium III processors. Learn more about SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 from SuSE, or sign up and see what it can do.
    -just to name a few
    When you connect to your ISP, you are potentially opening your computer to the world. There are \'naughty people\' out there who enjoy breaking into other people\'s computers. Give some thought to the security of your computer...
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=360

Indeed, a great service. You may learn a lot, and use several *nix tools that wouldn't be available to you otherwise (in case you cant install any *nix version). I don't know if they allow you to have ircbots there.. but I am not really interested on them. Used it for a while, but since I have linux at home, didn't feel I would need it that much. Well, I was too shy to use talk command to talk to people there :blush:
    Oh, an option (besides yours, HT) for playing with linux without having trouble with partitioning and stuff, is using demolinux, which runs on a cd.
    http://www.demolinux.org/
    Thanks for the topic, HT.

Found in a diary:
    \".... and yes, since i am a l337 hax0r, i am also using vi to write this. ^[[D^[[B^ exit ^X^C quit :x :wq dang it :w:w:w :x ^C^C^Z^D\"

You can also try 1 mini-distro on one floppy. Without a graphical interface, you can learn more efficiently than with DemoLinux (which is greater for a punctual need than for learning in my opinion). I have learned all my Linux basics with Tomsrtbt for example.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Great thread HTRegz! Now, THIS is why I came here in the first place. It's great threads like this that keep the site going. Keep it up gang. You've given me alot of options here to pursue for my *nix education.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Banned
    Wonderful post! AO is so great, also telnet to grex.cyberspace.org is another one
    it's lovly having such wonderful access to such a great site(AO)!