Thread: agnitum - outpost firewall 1.0

Unhappy agnitum - outpost firewall 1.0

hello,

i am -very- green to computers so i am sorry if this is a dumb question, i searched for 30 minutes through threads looking for my answer, couldn't find it.
    a few days ago i started useing outpost 1.0 - the free one got it from www.agnitum.com
    i installed it and every thing and on it's first run with my restart it pops up it's gui so i can change settings and all that jazz, allso every application that i have that talks outside my computer requested to keep being able to talk.... so several hours into useing the internet i go and click start and then then click on the outpost firewall icon. nothing happens
    i right click the icon and tell it to open. it doesn't i can't get back to the gui that shows me differant settings and all that. no error message nothing. so i uninstalled it and reinstalled it from the zip file, same problem, can't open the program.
    is something wrong here? if i am makeing a really stupid mistake i ask you dont' give me a hard time about it
    any help you could give would be most ... .... helpfull,
    mark smith the greenest newbie

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    I don't use Outpost but I found this on their site (you may have already seen it). Outpost Personal Firewall Known Issues

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Unhappy tryed that

hello,
    while looking for answers before i post the quest i did run across a post that had that link and looked at it and it had some good info, but after reading allmost their entire frequently asked questions page i could find nothing on my specific problem. i have sense then started useing zone alarm, and uninst. outpost. however i still am looking for answers to this because i like outpost, it has been said to be good. i have heard black ice allso mentioned allot. is there a free version of that? do you know if it would hurt anything to run 2 firewalls at the same time?
    -i am very new and trying to learn thanks,
    mark smith

I don't think anyone would suggest having 2 firewalls running simultaneously, they would just interfere with each-other and try to block the other firewall, just a big hassle, 1 is enough for anyone. And did you check if the firewall was running when you went to Start>Outpost firewall, if in fact it was already running, i don't think it would have popped up, just click on the icon in the lower right hand corner.
    Mafia = Organized Crime
    Government = Unorganized Crime

Hey Suberme I run three firewalls simultaneously and I control their functions while they run I don't think that running more firewalls than one is any harm it is valueable in my point of way because sometimes if norton misses something my zone alarm alerts me and zone alarm never fails.
    I would suggest to you Mark Smith that go to www.zonelabs.com and download pestpatrol. It is free and very easy to use. The system behaviour you wrote above could be the possiblity of some cracking activity or installation of some spyware or anything like that. I think a lot of time when we download some freeware it is always loaded with spywares or trozans. If you would like to have a free firewall go to www.sygate.com they have free firewall which is good.
    So when you are done downloading the pestpatrol, run it. It will detect all the worms, trojans, and spyware that ever norton never detects. And I think you will be able to resolve your problem.

Thumbs up lots of help

hello,
    the posts here have been lots of help Suberme "And did you check if the firewall was running when you went to Start>Outpost firewall, if in fact it was already running, i don't think it would have popped up, just click on the icon in the lower right hand corner."

i don't think it was running at all cause there was no icon in the right corner. I installed Zone Alarm on tope of outpost -so i had something i could count on untill i solved the problem- they did in fact have problems running together. i have heard allot of good about cygate that i just uninstalled outpost and am now running cygate and zone alarm on top of one anouther and they seem to function very smoothly together. the reason i want 2 running is like owl said. somethings one catches the other would not. i have heard Lots of good about zone alarm but i have heard of people being able to pass it.
    I like the idea of a hardware firewall but i am sure i don't have the smarts to put all that together at this stage of things .
    thanks for all help on this,
    mark smith