Thread: Linux is for Gaming!!!

Post Linux is for Gaming!!!

The people at Lycoris are releasing the Lycoris LX GamePak, which features not only linux games, but also Transgaming technologies WineX, which allows linux users to play over 150 Windows titles. This sounds like a great idea to me, especially considering the fact that its cheaper than a purchased version of Red Hat. Linux needs things like this to help promote growth. I know a lot of windows users who would like the user friendliness of Lycoris and the fact that it can play quite a few popular Windows games. The good thing about Lycoris is that it still follows its linux roots, not like Lindows. Anyway check out the news release.

http://www.lycoris.com/press/gamepak_pre.php
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

GreekGoddess
    Great post! This has definitely got my attention. If anyone happens to already own a copy of Lycoris desktop and is thinking about purchasing the Game Pak, let me know. I'd like to know how well it works and what games work with it and whatnot. I did see that DII and Max Payne do work, so there's the least of my worries. But if it turns out to be as good as it sounds, I'm getting my copy as soon as I can. w00t!

I say don't buy it. Linux already has those games readily available for free download if they don't already come with the distro. The only package you need if you don't have it already would be Winex not the gaming pack. It does work I yhave a "gaming desktop computer" running debian and it works great. Using Winex I can play every game I have tried to play UT-UT2K3, Quake, and others. I personally wouldn't buy that game pack. If you like their ease of use I guess you can. I have never used Lycoris so I don't speak for experience using Lycoris just Linux in general.

Originally posted here by gamernewbie
    I say don't buy it. Linux already has those games readily available for free download if they don't already come with the distro. The only package you need if you don't have it already would be Winex not the gaming pack. It does work I yhave a "gaming desktop computer" running debian and it works great. Using Winex I can play every game I have tried to play UT-UT2K3, Quake, and others. I personally wouldn't buy that game pack. If you like their ease of use I guess you can. I have never used Lycoris so I don't speak for experience using Lycoris just Linux in general.

Lycoris is a pretty good distro so dont knock it, I have indeed used it. Now you say you used WineX to play Unreal Tournament, UT2003, and Quake. Why? All three of those games are ported to linux. Now as for not buying the Lycoris gamepak my question is why not? Red Hat costs $39.99 and does not include WineX. I believe that Mandrake costs the same. I support purchasing linux over downloading it, after all these companies cant stay in business based on free downloads.

Mandrake also has a gaming edition coincidently called mandrake linux gaming edition.This was the distro i was going to buy but my local PC world had sold out here is a link for all you mandrake lovers that like games to and if you buy it you get a fre copy of the sims http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/81/gaming-edition

i personally think this is great linux packages coming with winex its easing people away from M$ because linux has all the office apps you could want and more so it would be good for a home user who works from home and likes to play games and the stability of *nix compared to M$ is unbalievable

*prodikal wonders why everyone just doesent use linux

Good post ThePreacher
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Originally posted here by ThePreacher

Lycoris is a pretty good distro so dont knock it, I have indeed used it. .

Like you quoted my post. "I say don't buy it." Linux already has those games readily available for free download. "I personally wouldn't buy that game pack." If you like their ease of use I guess you can." "I have never used Lycoris so I don't speak for experience" using Lycoris just Linux in general. Sorry but I never knocked it. I was just stating my opinion and MY personal preference after all that is what Linux is all about. If I insulted you I am sorry just trying to help. I buy books about Linux I may buy some apps if I like what I see I may buy a distro but sometimes you don't need to spend the money so I don't and once again this is MY opinion. Maybe we don't have to spend the money to get a working distro and if someone else decides they would rather pay then pay. No flame intended just trying to help someone that may be looking into a Linux distro to save money and doesn't want to spend the money they may just want to try it. We all have different opinions.

I am sorry for the long post just trying to say I wasn't knocking anything that is why I said I wasn't speaking from experience. Just my opinion.

Kwiep
    I use Lycoris and icepack for my desktop pc, because they're nice easy complete... I use other things for the server and firewall, but that's not the point. Such a gamepack is ncie for the windows users, who like you say just like the ease and competability of Lycoris.
    You can play almost any game in linux if you have the multimedia files. A game consists of two parts mostly: the multimedia stuff and the engines code. The multimedia stuff can be used directly by linux because the computer doesn't change. Yer soundcard can still produce sound. So the only thing you need for a game to play in linux is that programm code wich is a bit editted to run under linux's hardware IO system. The programm code is still written in the same code, so often only a little piece of modules needs to be editted. Games are getting more and more windows specific, but for many games you can just downlaod this aditted "engine" and copy the multimedia data of the cd you already own (?). There you have yer games. Wine can do alot of games that way. No gamepack needed, if yer die-hard enough.
    Double Dutch

Originally posted here by neel
    I use Lycoris and icepack for my desktop pc, because they're nice easy complete... I use other things for the server and firewall, but that's not the point. Such a gamepack is ncie for the windows users, who like you say just like the ease and competability of Lycoris.
    You can play almost any game in linux if you have the multimedia files. A game consists of two parts mostly: the multimedia stuff and the engines code. The multimedia stuff can be used directly by linux because the computer doesn't change. Yer soundcard can still produce sound. So the only thing you need for a game to play in linux is that programm code wich is a bit editted to run under linux's hardware IO system. The programm code is still written in the same code, so often only a little piece of modules needs to be editted. Games are getting more and more windows specific, but for many games you can just downlaod this aditted "engine" and copy the multimedia data of the cd you already own (?). There you have yer games. Wine can do alot of games that way. No gamepack needed, if yer die-hard enough.
    Dont be confused here into believing that I think you need the gamepak to play Windows games on linux, the benefit of the gamepak is easy setup and installation, and no worries of downloading the files. This and the fact that it comes with an easy to use linux distribution. Transgaming's WineX is a lot different than the Wine included in most distros, including the fact that it supports more games and has easier setup and use. As a lot of regular wine users know, sometimes it is a real bitch. My reccomendation is to buy this package, or the Mandrake Linux gaming edition if you want the ability to play linux and some windows games out of the box. I reccommend buying over downloading a distro because it supports the community. If you want a free distro, go to http://www.linuxiso.org