Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *moved* Dumping Windows messenger on XP

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Post Dumping Windows messenger on XP

I showed this little trick to a friend and he thought that it was great so I thought I would throw a quick "how to" on here for others.

Microsoft has made it a little tricky to get rid of Windows messenger. However, as with everything, there are ways around this.

Using Windows Explorer navigate to c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf.
    Look for the line starting with "msmsgs" and remove "hide," from the end of this line.
    Now goto Control Panel -> Add/Remove -> Windows Components. Windows Messenger should now be listed.
    All you have to do now is remove the checkmark from it.

Hope this helps out!

cool.....now I can get rid of that damn thing.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

navigate to c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf.
    Look for the line starting with "msmsgs" and remove "hide," from the end of this line.
    cheers for that!
    i would love to know where you got that from, where did micros~1 choose to document that? i'm guessing it is part of one of their courses...the ones you have to pay to do...?
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Cool! no more messenger spam!
    The more spam the better.

That is a very good method. That could be done easily with a script that you incorporate in the logon script for a week or so.

Another good way to get rid of the sh17 m$ installs and "phones home" with is XP Anti-Spy.

The site is german, but they have an english version of the tool. This works pretty well and does more than remove the messenger that they install.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

i would love to know where you got that from, where did micros~1 choose to document that? i'm guessing it is part of one of their courses...the ones you have to pay to do...?
    Actually, this is a well known "fix" for the annoying Windows messenger client. I did not want it loaded so I went digging on the web. I found several places that discussed it. I just happened to show this to a buddy and he was totally blown away. After that, I thought that others here may have a use for this little gem.

Regards.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

god bless you, horsey...
    \"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.\"
    Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

thehorse13> way to dig! i'm sure others will have use for such information. i'm still curious though as to its origins, this and other information like it. it has to get out of redmond "first", though given enough time someone would have wised up to it eventually.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

very well but I can't find windows messanger

(V)/\>< ,

As to its original origin, who knows. I do have an inside contact at MS so maybe he can shed some light on it. As soon as he replies to my e-mail, I will post his comments.

Hope this helps out.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden