Future of File-Swapping More Uncertain Than Ever

Thread: Future of File-Swapping More Uncertain Than Ever

Arrow Future of File-Swapping More Uncertain Than Ever

Guys,

This is an interesting read about the creeping death of file sharing...

Dr_Evil

Taken from here :http://bbspot.com/News/2002/03/sharing.html

Cupertino, CA - The Shazbot cafe on Allen street is a very popular hangout for young cyber-enthusiasts. It is a normally happy place, where young men and women, ranging in age from teens to early twenties, gather daily, to drink coffee, play games on the 24-computer LAN, and listen to popular music.

However, today is not a normal day. The occupants of this former Licorice Pizza, the only active business in an otherwise empty strip mall, are very angry today, and they're making sure that everyone knows about it.

The object of their anger? The popular file-swapping program "Morpheus". Morpheus, which allows users to trade music, video files, images, and even software, was until recently one of the most popular file-swapping services in the post-Napster era. Last week, though, that all changed when Dutch company and service rival "Kazaa" effectively shut down Morpheus. For one long week, users hung in limbo, the future of their file-swapping suddenly uncertain.

"It was, like, really scary," a youth going by the handle "R0xx5aR" told me. "I mean, back when Napster went down, me and my bros thought that we'd have to, like, buy CDs, or something. But then we discovered Morpheus, and it was, like, so cool."

The long week passed, however, and Morpheus was reborn. Like a Phoenix, Morpheus came back, using the popular Gnutella network. The community rejoiced, but their excitement was quickly muted.

A young woman dressed in Capri pants and a midriff-revealing T-shirt reading "I like Dorks" declared, "Okay, so the thing is, I was like totally into Napster. I must have gotten like five hundred records from that, okay? And then, like, some greedy jerks took it away, and I started using Morpheus, and now Morpheus is all sucky. What am I supposed to do?" She asked, her voice rising.

"What about my rights? Am I supposed to just go to WalMart and buy CDs? Do you have any idea how expensive that is going to be? I mean, if I actually went out and bought this CD," she continued, holding aloft a CD-R with the word "Weezer" and some hearts and flowers written on it in black ink pen. "Then I totally couldn't have afforded to get this tattoo on spring break." She then revealed the tattoo in question: a blue mushroom, just above her tailbone.

"This is fuxx0red!" announced 20 year old college student Lascar, his attention focused on an Internet game called Counter-Strike. "I mean, we should boycott Morpheus because-- ****ING CAMPERS! ****!"

The future of file-swapping is uncertain, with users shying away from similar products like Audiogalaxy and BearShare, complaining that they contain software called "Spyware". A man in his late 20s, calling himself "Bootie" said, "I installed BearShare, because I wanted to get the new Alien Ant Farm album, you know? And while I'm getting ready to burn it, I notice that my Internet connection is sending all sorts of information out to some server somewhere. So I get online, and I find out that BearShare has installed all this Spyware on my machine! I mean, I just wanted to install BearShare to get free music, and it goes and installs Spyware? That should be illegal!"

The general feeling here, though, was that somehow Truth and Justice would indeed prevail, and some new file-swapping service would fill the void left by the apparent demise of Morpheus.

"Hey, those idiots at Morpheus had a chance, and they blew it, just like the idiots at Napster and all the other idiots," The user known as Bootie said later, smoking a clove cigarette, "If these guys don't get with the program, and I mean fast, they're going to find out that we're just going to buy CDs instead of downloading them. Then what will they do?"

That is the question on the industry's mind. The answer, however, remains a mystery

lol, I read that sometime back. I'm thinking its almost a year old!

I think it was meant as a joke though... lol

I mean, I just wanted to install BearShare to get free music, and it goes and installs Spyware? That should be illegal!"
    "If these guys don't get with the program, and I mean fast, they're going to find out that we're just going to buy CDs instead of downloading them. Then what will they do?"
    Sadly, this is the way people really think!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

yes

phishphreek80,

Yes you got it - It is a year old -03-2002.

I just wanted to know, what you guys thought about the

creeping speed of death of file sharing.... a year on, almost

Quite interesting, what people thought then

i.e
    I just wanted to install BearShare to get free music, and it goes and installs Spyware? That should be illegal!"
    Will filesharing ever come to a halt..., lets see what happens exactly the same time next year....

Dr_Evil

Well, I think that illegal file sharing will never stop. It started on BBS then moved to misc. "undergound" ftp servers and now its on the P2P networks which has contibuted to the widesperad use of pirated software and music not to mention e books and such.

They might shut down some of them, but people will come up with a way such as freenet that won't be able to shut down. Now, tracing the connections back to users has been a problem. So, what is a user to do? Use a proxy, or several.

The death of P2P networks is far off. It will only be replaced with something bigger and better*.

I personally use P2P networks to distribute music of my buddies (with their permission). I know several people who have bands and want to get their sound out as far as possible with the least cost. They don't have the $ to do shows all over nor do the advertising... so, P2P networks proves to be a great place to spread their material.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Old Fart
    While the text of the first post may be a joke, this is not. DALnet will no longer allow file sharing channels as of 3/1/03. I'm not trying to take a side in the great copyright infringement debate, but I will say that if this is not ironed out soon, we all will suffer. My ISP is already monitoring the traffic of its users, with attention focused on the movement of movie files. This is disturbing in that they are an Internet Service PROVIDER, not an Internet Service REGULATOR....but thanks to the RIAA and MPAA, along with the DMCA, that all seems to be changing.

/me feels like an American Indian watching the beginning of the flood of white men pouring into the frontier....the beginning of the end of the internet as we know it...
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I only discovered kazaa a year ago and last night used kazaa lite to listen to a few tunes i haven't heard in awhile. I also used the kazaa hack program i heard about here to make myself "1000"-I think it's actually pretty funny that anyone would think these file sharing programs wouldn't be abused but the people i know who burn music wouldn't have bought the discs to begin with.
    It boils down to a matter of convienence but if i like the band i buy the disk, usually!
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool