Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need your help guys/girls!!!

Question Need your help guys/girls!!!

I use windows 2000 pro.

I have user
    user and not administrator anymore!

I ve done this with my sleepy hat to see if i get more speed for watching a movie.

Now you see my problem ?............can i get my admin back or do i need to format ?
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

Re: Need your help guys/girls!!!

Originally posted here by kadeng
    I ve done this with my sleepy hat to see if i get more speed for watching a movie.
    i don't understand what this sentence means, but you can't delete your administrator account.
    it's possible that it's just hidden or something. or maybe you just renamed it.

go start>run>mmc

click Console at the top, then Add/Remove Snap-in... click Add, then Users and Groups and/or Local Policy and look around in those.
    i will shoot you so hard.

Re: Re: Need your help guys/girls!!!

Originally posted here by spyrul

i don't understand what this sentence means, but you can't delete your administrator account.
    it's possible that it's just hidden or something. or maybe you just renamed it.

go start>run>mmc

click Console at the top, then Add/Remove Snap-in... click Add, then Users and Groups and/or Local Policy and look around in those.

i don't understand what this sentence means=i forgot because im tired that those other accounts[the user and guest]don t have administrator rights[stupid]

You say i can t delete the administrator account!

Thats what a thought.still their is no administrator account!

I looked around like you told but i could not get any access in those 3 accounts.

You need to have administrator access!

Could this be some weird win 2k bug?
    cheers and good bye

Spyrul is right! jou can´t delete your administrator account!
    There always must be an admin account!
    There always is an admin account, you just have to find it (don´t ask me win 2k sux in my opinion) Ask somebody who knows about such problems.
    Maybe some Microsoft Guys *g*.
    [shadow]sChWaRzFaHrEr[/shadow]

You can try to boot with a boot disk in order to have access to administrator rights. And then to create a new administrator account.
    This link could help you in this way.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Though you can't delete the admin account, you can rename it. Are you sure that you didn't just rename the admin account?

Why not just restore the SAM from a backup? You do backup your systems, don't u?

KissKool: Wouldn't he/she just want to boot into the recovery console from the CDROM and do a "repair" on it? If he can get to the recovery console, then they have not deleted the admin account... The recovery console won't let you boot into the GUI, but it will let you copy/rename, delete files. Then he/she could just copy the SAM from a last known good state.

EDIT: KissKool, you are right. To get to the recovery console, you can use either the CD or boot disks. From that point they will want to do a repair or use the recovery console. The recovery console is a little more difficult to use. They might want to read up on it before they use it... as you can really mess some stuff up.

BTW: The recovery console will let you look at the "really hidden files" that m$ hides from you. They are not hidden in the recovery consoe. Ever wonder exactly what is in those index.dat files that you can't delete becuase they are in use? They are in use from the "really hidden files" that m$ doesn't want you to see.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Then he/she could just copy the SAM from a last known good state.
    If he has got one.
    I have not studied the recovery console but I think it can be used like a boot disk would be. Good point phishphreek80.

Thx guys for trying to help.......did format and clean install didn t take to long [backup]

Why not just restore the SAM from a backup?

Since i had no admin i could not do anything to restore things.

Got access denied or you need to login as admin!

Restart gave al kinds of erors like alot of the programs sudenly were total restricted in their behaviour[ seti could not load at all]
    cheers and good bye

I know you can "extract" the SAM file with some utilities (like L0phtcrack) if you already have the admin rights. I think I have heard somewhere it was possible without the admin rights in some conditions, but I haven't details and don't know if you can restore it in this way.

A way would be to use another OS like Linux to access to your SAM file without the M$ protections. But, if you use NTFS, you'll probably have to recompile your kernel with the "write on NTFS" option enabled to do so.
    If Linux is not installed on your pc or if you don't know it, it would be a lot of work nearly useless since reinstalling would be easier.

KC

You could also try to get a copy of the read/write version of NTFS for DOS and mount the NTFS partition in DOS mode
    Then you can manually copy the backup SAM file into the correct place.

I am assuming you meant you have a backup copy of the SAM.
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca