Whats the deal with this .NET crap?

Thread: Whats the deal with this .NET crap?

I have been getting weird answers from my friends, and when I watch some microsoft tutorial cd, i got REALLY lost. so basically i come to you people and ask What is .NET? what are they trying to do with it? and What do they want to accomplish?

Thanks peoples, only place I can count of for a decent Reply.
    Im Chris Bartholomew - 18 Years old

TSeNg
    questions? Cxbartholomew@yahoo.com

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Have you looked here yet? What is .NET?

Also, what tutorial were you watching? Is there a specific area of .NET you were interested in?

Edit:
    About this time last year I was asking myself that same question.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Old Fart
    Basically, .NET is a method that MS intends to use to eventually "drop" boxed software off the market. This way they (or any developer) can sell software as a "service" and charge a monthly or annual fee. The specifics haven't been quite worked out yet, as MS is still trying to come up with marketing plan to make .NET profitable for them. How do I know? I was part of the ramp-up team providing tech support for bCentral, the initial offering of products based on .NET and XML from MS.

To be honest, .NET has its pluses and its minuses. I like the way that it can communicate with other apps and the fact that it offers you access to your .NET apps and data from anywhere. I don't like the fact that the way it is set up all your data will be stored on MS (or whomever the "provider" might be) servers....I'd prefer to protect my data, not put it somewhere that it can (and probably will) be a target. Nor am I crazy about "renting" my software....I LIKE having a boxed product that is operated and upgraded based on my wants and needs, not Bills.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

it's also basically the new WinXP family. we have the Windows 2000 family, with Professional, Server, Advanced Server, etc... Windows XP Home/Pro is like Win2k Pro, then the different platforms of .NET are the updated versions of the Win2k operating systems. we have a trial version of .NET server at my school, and it's just Windows XP with Active Directory. one of the most horrifying combinations in the world.
    i will shoot you so hard.

Interesting, but dont you think its a HUGE security issue? plus, i understand now its for business use, but what about home use? is MS, trying to target home users as well?

Ps, thnx for all your replys...
    Im Chris Bartholomew - 18 Years old

TSeNg
    questions? Cxbartholomew@yahoo.com

Banned
    I've been working with VB for about a year or two now. .NET came out about around the same time as the whole Microsoft VS. Java thing... Basicly its nothing more than a MS's replacement for Java. Many of my fellow VBers are turned off by .NET because it's less user friendly as VB but VB was never really a network friendly language....

You had to fool around with winsock.ocx and inet properties and functions. I could sit here for hours talking about the ways I've made client and server software speak to each other and the responses I'd get out of it! .Net is basicly Java/sql kinda stuff only with little bits and pieces of VB santax.