I think i messed up Perms:

Thread: I think i messed up Perms:

I think i messed up my Perms:

whaaats up...i think i may have messed up my PERMISSIONS on my linux machine: this is what happend:

I was installing snort so i downloaded the files as USER and then was going to install them soo i 'su" but i wanted to give USER permissions to /snort-install soo this is exactly what i did as 'ROOT'

chmod 501 /snort-install
    chmod +r /snort-install
    chmod +x /snort-install

Then i kind of was feeling very insecure about what i did im a TOTAL noob when it comes to assigning perms on linux soo i.

chmod -r /snort-install
    chmod -x /snort-install

But then as "USER" i could see and read all the root directories and files and run commands like /sbin/ifconfig and i know i couldn do this before as USER so i did this:

chmod -r /
    chmod -x /

But then i noticed my RHN network was not running properly soo i did this again

chmod +r /
    chmod +x /

And that ficed the network problem but im not sure what exactly i did.Can anyone help me put my settings back to normal....cause i think i have opened up my nix box: THANKS

< EDIT > jeez i messed it up even more i reboot my computer after i
    chmod 700 /

and now the gui (gnome) doesnt work: say
    Fatal server error:
    cannot open default font fixed

I m going to leave it alone i think i may have really messed it up is there anyway outta this one without a re-install caue i got a lot of stuff setup on here

er0k
    you shouldnt ever be able to run ifconfig unless you have a uid set to 0..... and snort's install shouldnt mess up X... id try to run fsck /dev/yourharddrive on boot and see if it finds corrupted files.. sounds weird.

Ok...i got X working: i ran XCONFIGURATOR and went through the settings again.

But i may have confused you on the other part i still havent installed snort i was starting too but then i messed up permissions on my / directory

Cause right now when i ls -ld on the / directory i get:
    drwxrwxrwx 20 root root 4096 Feb .....

I just want to know how i get all the directory permissions back to default casue i think i have opened my machine up.

AND :

I have noticed that i have these errors too now in my /var/log/messages

modprobe: modprobe: Cant locate module char-major-10-134
    modprobe: modprobe: Cant locate module char-major-81
    modprobe: modprobe: Cant locate module char-major-81

I know i one of these are to do with a USB hub or something but cant figure out to fix it!

xfs: ignoring font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic (unreadable)
    xfs: ignoring font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cid (unreadable)
    xfs: ignoring font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local (unreadable)
    xfs: ignoring font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/latin2/type1(unreadable)