Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I turn off autocomplete on IE?

How do I turn off autocomplete on IE?

Hello everyone

Is there any easy way to stop Internet Explorer 6 from remembering text (from search strings, logins etc) other than to manually delete the temp files? I know you could do this with an older version but cannot find a way to do it with this one.

I am really prone to typing without looking and using tabs so quite often I find I've keyed a password into a username box (or part of a password) which then haunts me each time I revisit that site as IE helpfully offers it as a suggested autocomplete.

Also I can't remember how to stop Windows remembering the last ten opened documents.

Any advice appreciated!

Rachel
    668 - the neighbor of the beast

Hi,

Inside IE, go to Tools / Internet Options / Advanced options / and inside uncheck the "Autocomplete..." box.

Note: i have IE in spanish so perhaps the words and options could be not the exact ones but maybe similars.

Bye,

DKRR

Thanks, this works on machine 1 - will have to wait till later to check this out on my home boxes. Knew it was something really obvious and am now kicking myself for not realising.

Cheers

Rachel

Also I can't remember how to stop Windows remembering the last ten opened documents.
    Right-click on the taskbar (on the bottom of the screen ) > Properties > Advanced Tab > Clear

Is that what you talking about ?

-inv
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

You can rightclick on your ie icon , click on properties, click on clear history folder and then set the days to keep pages in history to 0 and click apply.You can also under the general tab click on delete temporary internet files to clear all offline content.

hope it helps
    regards
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

If I wanna turn off IE6.0's Autocomplete feature, I might go to Tools, Internet Options, Content tab and then Autocomplete radio button.

Even though you shut off the auto complete, strangely enough I believe windows still catalogs recently visited urls under:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

now if there was a way to shut THAT off......
    -Those are my principles. If you don\'t like them, I have others.
    --Groucho Marx

There are several programs out there that will let you compete all and more of these functions listed in this thead. (disable autocomplete, clear history, etc.)

My favorites are TweakUI and Xteq .

Out of the two, Xteq is my favorite. You can write your own plugins for it and put them on the web for others to use too. You can do practically everything that has to do with reg. tweaking within this program. It has features to clear your internet files, temp files, history from multiple programs, etc.

I think they are freeware and are both spyware free.

Just remember... BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM AND REGISTRY OFTEN!

The changes can be easily undone, but if you start playing/tweaking with too many settings at once, it is easy to forget what you changed.

Its def. worth a test drive. One of the first things I install on my home systems.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Okay, since you're using Internet Explorer 6, I'm assuming you're using WinXP:

Two thngs you can do regarding making Windows forgetting the last ten documents.
    a) Clear the documents list
    b) Disable the feature i.e. disable "Recent Documents"

In WindowsXP, these can both be done in the following way..

a) To simply clear the documents history:
    > Right click on the Start button.
    > Click Properties
    > Chose the Start Menu ' tab
    > Click on Customize
    > Chose the Advanced tab
    > Under Recent Documents, click the clear list button.

b) To disable the listing of the last few documents altogether, simply uncheck the List my most recently opened Documents option in the same menu.

Ofcourse you even have the manual method whereby you can right click on the document shortcut (in the Recent Document list), and click 'Delete'. Filter out the specific documents you don't want people to know you opened. heh heh

Hope this helps.
    I blame you cos my mind is not my own, so don't blame me if I trespass in your zone!

OS in question is Win95 on spare machine, Win98 on desktop. XP on laptop. The XP suggestions worked a treat, thanks, but still puzzling over the temp docs on 98. The 95 PC is in waking coma and can't connect to anything today so am not overtly worried about that one. Would do anything to avoid the weekly search and delete that I am doing at the minute, on multiple PCs it's a nightmare.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Rachel