Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new mp3 spam for music?

Angry new mp3 spam for music?

okay folks i haven't posted here in awhile......but i just noted something when i was at a particular mp3 music share site.......a particular group's music looked like it had the whole song, but when i would play the song it would sound like an eraser every so often in the song like someone purposely jiggled it.

at first i just thought it was a bad recording. generally i get some bad music from this place so i tried again and again.....same stuff. i know this isn't part of the music....because for one it sounds like crap and two on another song by the same group there was like a tv emergency broadcast signal in it.

then i noticed that a lot of these songs were from the same users.....often gibberesh for the username. They would also double there output....the same user would have two of the same name in the id spot.......messed up....i checked out a few of the users and like all of them for this specific group were all the same........it's like they spammed out the same garbage under a bunch of different usernames in different formats kinda on purpose......i don't know if anyone else has had this problem but i would like some input on it if i could.

i hate to sound like a newbie but this is the first time i've seen this and i haven't ever heard of it from anyone that i talk to, so some general input would be greatly appreciated.....
    f*** milk......got ink?!?

What do you mean by "sound like an eraser"? I know that you can get all sortes of sound anomalies by ripping from a scratched cd? could this have somthing to do with it?
    Dain Bramaged

i read somewhere awhile ago that some ppl are doing that purposley in an attempt to combat piracy, either by having a file of giberish or playing part of a song over and over again.

yeah ive encounered same problems wid kazaa. i tried downloading some songs.. now i didnt suspect something was wrong coz it was 4MB..average size of an mp3.. but da whole 4 megs was a repetition of da 1st 30 seconds of da song. its really stupid.

Blade1337, you are correct. There are supposedly groups (friends of the RIAA, record companies?) that are purposely flooding the pipes with these .MP3's that are not the entire song, or most of the song but with some jibberish and distortion.

I don't really see this as a viable method of stopping piracy - it may slow it down, but it wouldn't stop it. It may take a user just a little bit longer to find a correct copy of a desired song, that is all...
    - Maverick

Blade1337, you are correct. There are supposedly groups (friends of the RIAA, record companies?) that are purposely flooding the pipes with these .MP3's that are not the entire song, or most of the song but with some jibberish and distortion.
    Wasn't that considered to be a denial of service attack and the courts said that this was not allowed? Well, there is no such thing as a free lunch... especially in the case of the RIAA. How could you prove that the RIAA did this, or had people do this to start with? Touch battle if it was ever brought to court. The defense could easily counter sue because users shouldn't be downloading pirated music to start with.

Anyway... I'm getting off topic.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80

Wasn't that considered to be a denial of service attack and the courts said that this was not allowed? Well, there is no such thing as a free lunch... especially in the case of the RIAA. How could you prove that the RIAA did this, or had people do this to start with? Touch battle if it was ever brought to court. The defense could easily counter sue because users shouldn't be downloading pirated music to start with.

Anyway... I'm getting off topic.

Well, I was going off of my memory with that post. I had read a while back about this happening, but that's why I mentioned some possible groups that might be doing it because I'm not sure who it was.. I hadn't heard about this action as a denial of service attack, but you could be right about that one...

It most certainly would be an interesting battle in court...

I'm going to see if I can dig up that article - I'll paste a link here if I can find it...
    - Maverick

Really? Man I must listen to some weird stuff or something because Ive never come across anything like that. I've heard MP3's off Kazaa that sounded like someone put a mic up to their TV and recorded it, but nothing like what you guys are talking about. I'm interested in this though. Would anyone be willing to give the names of some songs or bands that they have encountered that are purposely distorted? I'd be interested in hearing some song, so I know what to look for. Thanks
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Wired did an article on this... http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,57112,00.html

An excerpt:

Overpeer's patent application offers a few more clues. The application, which credits Overpeer board members Cheol-Woong Lee and Chang-Young Lee as inventors, describes the methodology:

1) Search for digital music file on network.

2) Collect illegally produced digital music file.

3) Edit illegally produced digital music file (damage sound quality).

4) Distribute digital music file on network.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

songs i had a problem with

Any song when i searched for on the Daredevil soundtrack as well as any songs by evanescence.....the reason why it is working is because no one out there has real versions of the songs. Easiest way to see them is when there are multiple users for that song and the users are doubles and often when you go through the entire list of results the same 4 or 5 users show up throughout the list
    f*** milk......got ink?!?