Thread: anonymity question

Banned

Question anonymity question

Is there an alternative to using proxies (for IP anonymity)? If so, what?

Banned
    can't u use a second phone line to dial into?
    internet cafe?

i don't have any other real idea's but i thought that proxy was the way to go. is there a reson why using a proxy is not a good idea?

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    ok, one way would be to use an online service such as www.anonymizer.com They offer you the ability to surf the net, hiding your real location. As for the proxies...well, it works sometimes, but thats not what proxies are designed for. Also, you need legal permission in order to use other people's proxy servers. If you would use my proxy server, i would sue you unless your an authorized user. But tell me, why do you want to surf anonymously?

Hope this helps you.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Banned

TY

i'm not going to get into too much detail about myself, but about proxies~ i've read that the people that run the proxies will trick on you if they are faced with a legal matter & it can be traced, ect.~& I would like full security (if possible) of anything i want to do. Think of it as freedom to browse.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    I dont understand what you mean, so let me fill you in what a proxy server is designed for. A proxy server is designed to cache urls that are used often, like in companies, schools, web cafes. Proxies are also made for security, such as controlling which sites are allowed to be viewed, which file types can pass the proxy servers, maybe even for speed sometimes and also bandwidth control. It can also be used in combination with a firewall, making it a so called Application Level Firewall. The fact that you connect to a proxy to hide your ip is not legal. And also.....LOL, you say your doing this to stay secure.... That is very unsecure what you are doing, since everything you do is logged and monitored by the proxy server. So if you use a proxy to surf to any site, or even ftp.....it means that you connect to the proxy, and from there to your desired location. Since the proxy is connected between you and your desired location....it can filter out and read all your actions. You call that security??? I dont. Also, many sites will not let you connect if you are behind a proxy. And if your on windows....a proxy will not help you very much, since you OS broadcasts your real IP anyways. I suggest that you try securing yourself in other ways, like securing you computer, and not using other computers to secure you.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

while i do not recommend this but you can use proxy chaining to get more security i do agree with instronics that using proxy servers is not safe he is 100%right! hope you know what proxy chaining means ,if not just google it!
    the following link might help:
    http://members.tripod.com/lycos_webmaster/proxies.html

Another possability (if you are using a phone line) would be to either use a Gold Box or Loop Numbers. Of course your download speeds and what not would not be all THAT great but hey, it's an option.
    To be God is to be Root, if someone is erking you just type: rm -d /home/heathen

Banned
    I agree Instronics, which is why my first question ask for an alternative to proxies...thanx

Multi Proxy Can be traced so they are not 100% and anonymizer is not 100% neither every one can be traced but like all things it takes time. But it doesnt mean dont use it it just mean be carefull in waht you do!