Thread: Explorer Auto Refresh

Angry Explorer Auto Refresh

I am having a hell of a time just now trying to stop my Windows Explorer in 2000 autorefreshing. its bringing what I am doing to a grinding halt.

Anyone know how to disable the autorefresh which seems to be happeining every few seconds and takes about 30 to complete. (working on a large directory )

I have not tested this, but... according to this site.

You can disable auto refresh by following the steps below.

Toggle Auto Refresh for Windows Explorer

Start RegEdit; select Start, Run; type regedit; and press Enter.
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update.
    Double-click UpdateMode in the right pane and set the value as 00 for autorefresh on, 01 for autorefresh off.
    Click OK, close RegEdit (choose Registry, Exit), and restart the computer.
    Let us know if it worked.

Thanx
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I would suggest looking around in your "Internet Options" Tools > Internet Options
    Also it could just be the web page. Or do all the web pages that you go to autorefresh every 30seconds?
    To be God is to be Root, if someone is erking you just type: rm -d /home/heathen

Its windows explorer not internet explorer.

The reg fix doesn't work Phish. Any other suggestions because its drivin me up the wall.

I think I remember seeing this option in a program I use on my home systems called XTeq.

You can check it out here. I don't have it installed on my work pc, only at home.

Check it out here!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

mark_boyle2002

If you are talking about windows explorer synchronize refresh then, follow on............

Go to tools, then synchronize

Open Synchronization Manager.

Click Setup.

On the Logon/Logoff tab, in the When I am using this network connection list, click the network connection that you want to use.

In the Synchronize the following checked items list, select the check boxes beside the offline items that you want to synchronize, such as a folder on a mapped network drive or an Internet Explorer offline Web page.

Under Automatically synchronize the selected items, select either When I log on to my computer or When I log off my computer, or select both.

If you want Synchronization Manager to request permission before automatically synchronizing your offline items, select the Ask me before synchronizing the items check box.

Dr_Evil

Unhappy Autorefresh.

I am talking about the built in feature of Explorer that refreshes the folder list and files list at seemingly sporadic intervals.

It brings the whole machine to a grinding halt if you have enough files or folders within the folder you are trying to browse.

I am working on a 2 gig p4 so I am not just being stupid here.

Its a genuine problem and so far I have been trying for 3 hours to get it to stop.

When it starts refreshing it won't allow even basic windows operations. (open,run,start menu etc)

Its driving me bonkers.

Apparently its limited to 2000 boxs.

mark_boyle2002:

I know what you are talking about...
    Did you check out that program? If you are at work and need permission to install stuff (admin access) check with the appropriate people. This program is pretty powerful in the way of .reg tweaking. I, however, am not allowed to install software at work w/o permission (even though I'm an admin) and don't feel like going through the trouble and paperwork to install it.

All my searching for the auto refresh in explorer (windows explorer) has been limited to only results having to do with 9x, Me and NT. I thought that .reg tweak would work as 2k is in the NT family, but guess I was wrong.

Good luck with your problem!

Do you have the indexing services running,
    Or the system restore services ?

If you have (type services.msc in a run.box to see) then set these two values to disabled or manual. It will speed up your box anyhow.

The indexing services indexes every single file of your hard drive (also the contents) so this is a heavy proccess, the system restore services keep a restore point of your system for when your box crashes somehow. This also is quit heavy on your system resources.

Just some suggestions.