Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HDD sharing...

Exclamation HDD sharing...

I will describe how our system is setup.

i have a re-movable HDD and my grandfather has a fixed HDD. both have winXP pro and the boot sequence is setup that it boots my HDD if it is present and then his if its not.

however, if he puts my drive in and changes the boot sequence, he can have unlimited access to my drive. i cannot put a code on the bios as its a "part" owner ship.

is there a key i can change on my grandads box that will stop him periodically from detecting or picking up my drive if its there when he boots up, or is there any other way i can do it??

thanks
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

On most bios you can set an admin password. Meaning... you don't have to have a password to boot it, but you have to have a password to change anything.

That should fix your problem. Check your motherboard and bios manufacturrer to see if you have this capability.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Arrow Trust_Not_123

Trust_Not_123,

Have you thought about using PartitionMagic 8

http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

Dr_Evil

some removable drive cages have keys. If the key is off, so is the power. just remember to turn it off when you leave and to take the key and toss it somewhere like a drawer. Look into Removable hard drive cages on google to find one that will suit you.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

firstly, no i cant put a password at all on the bios cause its OUR system not mine fully. and secondly i have a key for the lock, somewhere....but it doesnt turn the power off it just locks the drive either in or out. but becuase of my line of work there are probably thousands of those types of keys that would fit it.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Antionline Herpetologist
    Just put a password on the winxp install on your removable hd. That way, your grandfather can boot the normal os and even your winxp but can't get into your install.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

huh hmm. does this locking of folders work if the program isnt booted? my system does not get booted if he changes the bios setting to boot from his drive. is is just there like a logical partition not a primary. the only time my system gets booted is when my drive is in there. the only time grandads in booted is when mine is not. but if he changes the boot sequence, then he can have my drive in the machine, but be able to boot from his hard drive.

i know its a toughy but surely there is something that can do it
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Talking Repeatedly kick grandad in the gonads.

only joking.

I would suggest you look into a boot manager.

Another Suggestion I would make is that you may be able to have different Fat systems on the disk.

Certain Os's will not pick up other os's fat systems e.g fat 16 and ntfs are pretty incompatible.

Alternatively hide the jumpers from the back of the drive. its always a bugger to get them working without jumpers.

no, i like my partitions just the way they are. and what are you talking about jumpers. it has nothing to do with them. and if you read. they both have WinXP Pro and that does pick up all partition formats. maybe except ntfs but thats not the point.
    ----Homer J Simpson----