Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HDD sharing...

If you have got WindowsXP pro you have got EFS, you could always encrypt all folders that you don't want him to see, it would be transparent to you and without your key nobody would be able to read the files (well not easily anyway). Just an idea

folder

Trust_Not_123,

only time my system gets booted is when my drive is in there. the only time grandads in booted is when mine is not. but if he changes the boot sequence, then he can have my drive in the machine, but be able to boot from his hard drive.

Since you are using XP pro, you can set exclusive access to your folders:-

To do so

Log on using your administrator account

right click on your folders

Go to properties

Click on security tab

Click add,

Click and choose your username

Then

Remove Everyone,

Now when your grandfather logs on using his account, he will be able access your folders.

Also change your password, so that your grandfather wont be able to log in using your account.

Dr_Evil

ok, lets put it this way cause no-one seems to be understanding me. we have two hard drives. mine is a removable. his is a fixed drive. the boot sequence is that my drive boots, but if it is not there, his drive boots. but if he changes the boot sequence to boot with mine in there, then he has unlimited access to my files and folders. i cant use a program on my hard drive, cause in effect it wont run unless it was run manually after it was booted into his hard drive.

does anyone understand what i am saying?
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Angry The answer is clear.

Suggestions.

You could format the drive as ntfs and set permisions to individual directories.

You could install winrar or similar and keep your personal stuff in archives.

The properties idea will not work very well as XP pro drives are simply fat 32 and a child could remove fat 32 folder protection.

The NTFS partition idea may not be to hot as XP pro doesn't seem to like running on it.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help to you.

no, there is no personal stuff. its the whole drive. and i dont want to change my partition
    ----Homer J Simpson----

One thing you could do would be to boot into his WinXP pro with your drive installed. Go into the device manager and find your removable drive. Right click on it and choose disable. That way when he boots into his Windows with your drive in place, your drive will not show up. I hope this is what you are trying to accomplish.

<edit> sorry about the erroneous post, i misunderstood the question. To answer your question, No, i don't think there is a way to keep him from booting from his drive with yours as a slave and having full access to it. of course, if you use the advice below, you can keep him from reading SOME files, but not all... I will ask around and try and find a way, this is an interesting question, because, I think i would like to secure my root volume from admin access as a slave.

<original post>
    A hard drive formated with NTFS, as opposed to one formated with FAT32, has access to local file security under windows 2000 and XP. You don't have to reformat your hard drive if it is not NTFS, from the command line, you can type
    CONVERT [drive letter]: /FS:NTFS
    so if you want to convert your c: drive, it is
    convert c: /fs:ntfs [ENTER]
    after you have done this, you can secure files where any user but you, including the administrator, can see the files, but not read their contents, and the user that encrypted them can access them just as he could any other file, this is known as "transparent encryption".. to do this, you right click on the files you wish to encrypt, goto properties>>advanced, and check "encrypt contents to secure data" and click OK. Int the resulting window, select "apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files." I don't know if it is possible to do an entire partition this way, or, if so even if it would be wise, but for a single folder, or many folders, this is one way you could do this.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

trustnot maybe you werent paying attention. Dr Evil answered your question. No you can not stop your grandfather from changing the boot sequence without a bios protection password. you dont want to do this so you answered your own question. Now I am guessing your grandfather and you use two different login names and passwords. now if you set it up so that you both use different credentials then you can setup securtiy.

Log on using your administrator account
    right click on your folders
    Go to properties
    Click on security tab
    Click add,
    Click and choose your username
    Then
    Remove Everyone, (except your own account)
    Now when your grandfather logs on using his account, he will be able access your folders.
    What this does is remove permissions from anyone being able to access the account. NO MATTER WHO LOGS IN. I am not yelling there just making the point that it doesnt matter what hard drive you boot off of this is what will happen
    your grandfathers drive is booted master yours slave.

-->No one can access your hard drive without your login credentials and password.
    scenario 2 your grand father boots master off your hard drive
    --> he cant even login because he doesnt have credentials to your hard drive

scenario 3
    --> lets say you give him credentials to run your hard drive BUT you dont put his login name into the security tab of the folders you want him locked out of, he cannot access these folders. unless you give him admin privelleges and he takes control which takes more of an advanced user to figure out how to do this.

Now I think that is answering what you were wondering??
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

no, no, no permissions don't mean dick when his father has administrative access, sure, it's an annoyance, but he can just change them himself, because when the OS is booted from his hard drive, he is administrator over all volumes on a system
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

yes. i can disable my drive onnhis system but it can easily be undone. if i disable my HDD under his system, is there a way i can hide my disabled drive under the device manager and hardware ect. . this way there isnt any possible way he can enable my drive again.
    ----Homer J Simpson----