Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HDD sharing...

x acidreign x,

permissions will work because , If you read properly,

both have winXP pro and the boot sequence is setup that it boots my HDD if it is present and then his if its not.

both of them have a separate boot, therefore 2 administrator account.If Trust_Not_123, changes the file access his drive, grandfather wont be access his drive at all.

It doesnt matter who's boot is master of slave.

Trust_Not_123,

all you need to do is convert your file system to NTFS if it is FAT32 .
    Then follow my instructions,

Log on using your administrator account
    right click on your c drive

Go to properties
    Click on security tab
    Click add,
    Click and choose your username
    Then
    Remove Everyone, (except your own account)

Now when your grandfather logs on using his account, he wont be able access your drive.

Trust me Trust_Not_123

Dr_Evil

You can restrcict access to drives, hide drives and hide the hardware tab by creating a local policy on your Grandfather's install of Win XP. Here are the steps.

1. Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.
    2. Click Action, and then click Add/Remove Snap-ins.
    3. Click Add, click Group Policy, click Add, click Group Policy or Local Policy, and then click Finish.
    4. Click Close, and then click OK.

Go to User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer

There are three options that will interest you. There is a hide specified drives in my computer, prevent access to drives from my computer and remove hardware tab.

You can hide the drive and prevent access to it. Or disable it in the device manager and then hide the hardware tab.

There are very good explanations for these settings in the MMC which is quite unusual for Microsoft. I hope this helps.

You can restrcict access to drives, hide drives and hide the hardware tab by creating a local policy on your Grandfather's install of Win XP. Here are the steps.

1. Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.
    2. Click Action, and then click Add/Remove Snap-ins.
    3. Click Add, click Group Policy, click Add, click Group Policy or Local Policy, and then click Finish.
    4. Click Close, and then click OK.

Go to User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer

There are three options that will interest you. There is a hide specified drives in my computer, prevent access to drives from my computer and remove hardware tab.

You can hide the drive and prevent access to it. Or disable it in the device manager and then hide the hardware tab.

There are very good explanations for these settings in the MMC which is quite unusual for Microsoft. I hope this helps.

thanks that has been the best suggestion so far bighabu. i will try it out.

it sounds solid enough, and if it dont work you'll hear from me :P

thanks again
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

An easy way to prevent access to your hard disk is to make sure you password all your accounts on your hard disk, including the administrator account. Then disable fast user switching and the welcome screen. Make sure all user accounts have different passwords from your grandad's user accounts. It is especially important that the administrator accounts have different passwords, or he will still be able to gain access. Now, provided your disk is formatted as NTFS, he will have to enter a username and password that is valid on your hard disk to access it.

The only drawback is you will have to enter a username and password to log on to windows when you boot from your hard disk, but that's only a minor inconvenience.

That last suggestion works trust

I tried that suggestion and it works.

You can select to disable the other disk through policies.

no virii required then trust not.