Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US - Homeland Security Threat Level

US - Homeland Security Threat Level

Hummina, hummina, hummina. The pucker factor over here just jumped a notch (last Friday). Our Pres. Bush had our Homeland Security Threat raised to Orange (High). This is coming from http://www.fema.gov:

"President Bush raised the Homeland Security Advisory System threat level to High Condition (Orange) Friday afternoon. The threat level change was announced by Attorney General John Ashcroft and Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge.FEMA's Are You Ready? A Guide For Citizen Preparedness, updated this past October, offers specific tips on preparing for National Security Emergencies, including terrorism, chemical and biological weapons, and nuclear and radiological attack."
    FYI - The levels (ranging from highest to lowest threat) are:
    Severe (raining frogs, cats & dogs living together - possible anarchy)
    High
    Elevated
    Guarded
    Low

Oh yay. Whether we needed to or not, we are now officially freaking out. "Batton down the hatches!"

Is this in response to what the US and the other nations who have prepared to launch an attack soon or something else?

Also - I just saw something on one of our US news channels last nite. I will say this - I think the world should look a bit closer at N.Korea (maybe the US?) and have Germany, France and Belgium maybe handle Iraq. Reasoning? Maybe we need fresh minds to deal with Husayn and since N.Korea is saying they have a problem with the US - then our country (in alignmnet with maybe S.Kore, China, and Russia) work the N.Korea situation.

Either way I don't think this will move us towards the 'global village' Fmr. First Lady and now Sen. Rohdam-Clinton wanted for us all.

What do they base the "threat level" on anyway?
    --
    I found Jesus... It turns out he was under the couch the whole time.

-D

It's based on direct and indirect threats of terrorism towards U.S. interests. (You do realize that not a day goes by that someone, somewhere threatens U.S. interests.) They kind of "listen to the hum of terrorism" around the world and try to glean just how much of it is real and how much of it is the terror organizations stroking themselves. Usually it's the terrorists just pissing in their own hand.

It's more for looks than anything else.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

thanks Korp, I was just wondering how much was intel based abd how much was foreign media based, and at what points they draw the line. Also if this was and actual alert for the American public or a "Hey, we're watching you" deterent for the terrorists.
    --
    I found Jesus... It turns out he was under the couch the whole time.

-D

It's a little bit of intel, a little bit of what's on the breeze.....and yes, it serves twofold....to alert us "soft" Americans that there's trouble brewing AND to warn those that would do something against us that we are indeed vigil.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Being a cynic the threat level is raised to take our minds off of how the U.S. is gouging us for oil and blaming everybody else!!!!
    Anybody feel less secure or act differently when the level is raised???
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Who exactly is the U.S. blaming?? And for what? I'm confused by your statement.
    - Samuel Johnson

The US is gouging us for oil? Explain yourself. Prices at the pump in the US are far far below those in most other developed countries, due to some subsidies, and low taxes on petroleum products.

Besides, the US, is not the major producer of oil in the world, though it may be one of the largest consumers......

Thus, it has to control it supplies ....
    But to the point i think that the increase of threat level (defcon) is just another ploy to reinforce the fear factor in the us so that the us gov can do whatever it wants to do regardless of the internationnal laws.

ie: There almost had been constant fbi/cia/... warning about increase risk of bombings left and right everywhere for the last 1.5 year ... that it shows inconsistency.
    the more often you use the alert the less efficient it become...ever heard the story of that young chinese prince that fooled with the alarm warnings ... find it in the art of war ( recomended by most strategic analyst)...
    assembly.... digital dna ?

I found this link at CNN:

CIA and Threat Level

That provides more detail on the levels. Also - there is going to be another Bin Laden tape released soon.

Coincidence, psyops? You decide.

This type of thing makes me want to