Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US - Homeland Security Threat Level

UK - Heathrow airport becomes a tank car park

I think we may have started to take the threat seriously ourselves......

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_749702.html

R.
    668 - the neighbor of the beast

Oh yay. Makes me wish I just watched cartoons all the time. Does the UK and other countries have something like this threat level?

I just got an alert the Bin Laden is asking for all Muslims to ban together to oppose a strike on Iraq. A bit behind the ball now isn't he? Coulda sworn many groups of people have been demonstrating for quite some time now.

I really wonder if Bin Laden got zapped and his group is now using some sort of 'Animatronic' robot and programming it.

I also wonder what is really going to hit once the first shot is fired.

Everyone make sure you have your flak-jacket!

Sirrahj asked about UK threat levels. Yes we do have them based on colours. Due to the threat of IRA violence we never take ours lower than medium in London. But I can't for the life of me remember the sequence sorry.

Rachel

i think it's too bad the information in the threat levels can't be more informative. if the threat level stays at high for a week or a month, people will forget about it. think about it--has your life really changed when a terrorist warning was issued?

on the other hand, if there is actual intelligence regarding terrorist activity, what level of information is appropriate to tell the media? there's probably a tightrope to walk between causing mass hysteria and not causing enough mass hysteria. plus, if law enforcement had specific knowledge of activities, they shouldn't divulge details of a sensitive nature for several reasons. among these is that they would show their hand to the terrorists themselves.

The U.S. has fuel that costs less than most other industrial countries but the threat of war has skyrocketed the costs of what I am used to paying. The Bush family has made it's fortune on the oil industry and literally millions by not finding any, at one point.
    I am cynical an my response was too subjective and for that I apologise
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Moby_Duck makes a great point. In this country, they do at least say "well we have raised security because we think people might be using rocket launchers to shoot down planes" although I'm not sure whether knowing is better than not knowing. Actually I'd prefer to know, so I could make a rational decision about whether or not to take the risk.

Right now I have no qualms about catching the next flight to New York though.

Rachel

It is my understanding that the threat level was raised due to recent intercepts and the end of a prominent muslim holiday. Its been suggested that Americans buy duck tape and plastic sheets (typically used to protect furintiure/flooring from paint) to seal windows in the event of a dirty bomb or bio attack.

I apperciate the warning but the prevous posted was corrected when they observbed that too high for too long will be meaningless.

I agree with Englishgirl with regards to travel. I have no objections travelling in a plane nor would I avoid NYC [my brother lives there and I do not worry nightly about him]. I think the best thing is to heighten security at events and continue leaving a normal existence.

Cheers,
    -D

Sidebar: SNL did a skit where Ridge set the security level based on the color of his M&M in the morning. The country needs a chance to laugh to help relieve the stress.
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

it seems the major factor in raising the alert level was a tip from a cative in guantanamo who claimmed knowledge of a few cells that planned to detonate dirty bombs in the US. he was later shown not to be telling the truth using a lie detector test which by the way is 10% more accurate than flipping a coin. they decided to keep it orange anyway...guess so they dont look too dumb. good luck with that

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/U...alsealarm.html

But theirs allot of talk that the us oil companies are raising prices for the hell of it. and why not they raise prices for everything else. every holiday they raise the prices because folks will be traveling and because they can. i dont doubt the allegations
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”