Thread: How do you know if your computer is installed with this "Keystroke monitor "

How do you know if your computer is installed with this "Keystroke monitor "

as above...
    BlAcKiE
    GearBlitz

Update all your virus software, then trojan/virus scan, you'll find a keylogger, remove the program. that should help
    Squirrels have bushy tails
    I cut them off, then I laugh.
    That squirrel has no tail.

You might also want to run a up-to-date version fo Ad-Aware, and possibly check out Tauscan from Agnitum to see if it turns something up.

Another thing I might do is setup a sniffer. If your PC is infected with a keylogger, its going to try to phone home. (most of the time) You might want to look and see what is starting up on the PC too. You know always know what is starting up and why. When you see something you don't recognize... then you can start your searching.

You should also know what services you have running and kill all that you don't need. If you see new services... you might have something funny going on.

When you know you aren't going to need the phone, or have any activity online, run the sniffer. This is also a good way to find out if you have spyware that isn't detected by adware remove programs and you can block them at the firewall.

Of course... I'd do this AFTER I ran spyware/trojan/av software just to be sure that I've weeded out as much as possible.

EDIT: I posted this a while back and I still use it frequently. Check it out.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=236194

Not all keystroke loggers will show up though... there are several commercial programs that will do this too and they don't show up. If you have a hardware keystroke logger attached to the back of your keyboard... etc.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

There are also hardware keyloggers. Very obvious but I thought I would mention them to protect against internal snooping. They fit on the ends of the ps/2. click here for an example.

pak that's the most ugly ps/2 keylogger..

this is a better (stealthier) example.. they used to sell 'm on www.thinkgeek.com but they don't seem to have 'm ne more..

and they fit them into the keyboard itself !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Yeah I was just reading my post and I wasn't sure if I was clear enough for him/her, so I put the first site in that google found. Thanks though.

Can't pass this link around enoguh. If you think you're infected with something, check out http://security.symantec.com/ssc/hom...WYSHSFVIGMKIIP
    That way you don't have to worry about if your virus scanner is infected or not.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

A good and cheap and cheerfull way to work this out is to.

1. Check your free disk space.
    2. Open Notepad
    3. Key in a page or 2 of blurb
    4. Save The File
    5. Check your disk space.
    6. Delete The File and check your disk space.

The theory behind it is that 95% of key monitors create some sort of file. So if you create and delete the file and its only half way back to the first check of free disk space your keys could be being monitored and logged to a hidden file somewhere.

this method has always worked for me:
    when windows starts up and all programs are lunched open notepad and type something like "gotyaredhanded"then search all files and folders for that string ,most keyloggers store keystrokes in some file without anychange i mean its all human readable,if you found a file that contains the string be sure sb has installed a keylogger on your system.
    this method is not that much reliable!!!
    the best method around is checking the autostart methods used by trojan horses, while keyloggers and trojanz differ they use the same methods of auto starting ,the attached file might help(some auto start methods used by trojans).