how to remove antivirus software the hard way?

Thread: how to remove antivirus software the hard way?

how to remove antivirus software the hard way?

hey guys,

On my computer I had installed PC-cillin 2000 antivirus software (came with the motherboard driver disk). Anyway, I recently got Norton antivirus 2003 to replace it. Well, I tried uninstalling PC-cillin the standard way (start > settings > control panel > add/remove programs) and it didn't work. Told me that some files were in use and I could not erase them. So I shut the software down and tried again, again no luck. At this point I realized I would have to do this the long way so I erased the PC-cillin folder on the C: and erased all the registry entries related to starting up PC-cilling upon boot. I must have missed one or 2 because when I boot into windows, I get "can only perform this action for installed programs" warning screen. This tells me that there is still a registry key somewhere that is trying to start PC-cillin.

Also, I try to install NAV2003 and it says that it has detected another antivirus program running and that I have to uninstall that one first.

So my question is, what are all the places I should look at to find a program that starts up at bootup?

I found a website that describes how to remove a subseven trojan and the 8 places to look on the computer when finding a program that starts upon boot (4 were in the registry, 1 was win.ini, 1 was system.ini, 1 was c:/explorer, forgot the last one). I have checked all those places and don't find a trace of PC-cillin. Where else can PC-cillin be starting from?

For those that made it this far, thanks for reading my super long post..

phite

P.S. I am running win 2000 pro.

This might be of some help to you:

How to manually uninstall PC-cillin 2002 under Windows 95 / 98 / ME?

Good luck.

Cheers:
    DjM

thanks, thats a good idea, checking the company's site although that link you have there pulls up a cannot find server page for me. I'll have a look around their site, I didn't think they would list how to manually remove it.

Originally posted here by phite
    thats a good idea, checking the company's site although that link you have there pulls up a cannot find server page for me. I'll have a look around their site, I didn't think they would list how to manually remove it.
    The link works for me??

Try this one:

http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/s...lutionID=11419

Cheers:
    DjM

thanks for the help mate...

the link I was looking for is here:
    http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/s...olutionID=6382

PC-cillin 2000 on a win 2000 machine.

thanks again for the good suggestion