ASP and databases

Thread: ASP and databases

ASP and databases

hey guys,
    Tonight I was sufring a site and it gave me a message that read "error accessing the database" and a whole bunch of other stuff. It also gave me the server banner which bothered me. I'm not gonna mention the URL here because I have notified the Webmaster regarding the banner issue. I'm thinking this problem can be fixed by reconfiguring things on the site (a default config hole)? The site is ASP based. Any Ideas?

If you have accessed the site before, then it is quite possible you accessed the site during a maintenance window when there is typically low traffic.
    If it was popular site then they probably had both a web server and a database server on seperate boxes to better distribute the work load. It could have been that some maintenance was being done or had been done to the database machine, so even though the web server was still active, it lost it's connection to the database.
    This theory could be totally wrong, but I have seen this happen more than once.
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday

I don't know if ASP has this but in PHP you can set a directive (error_reporting) to turn off all errors or just show selective ones... Also the die() command (Or something like it) may help...

Ninja Code Monkey
    Washington State
    It would all depend on the web application and the error recieved. IIS has ways of turning off detailed error messages, but if the web application handles errors on it's own, then you have to turn them off in the web app itself.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X