Thread: Networking Linux and FreeBSD!

It's a gas!

Networking Linux and FreeBSD!

Heres the scenario.
    I have at present a old box which is currently running RH7.3, im going to install FreeBSD on this to act as a dedicated firewall.
    Im also in the processing of building myself a new box which is going to be dual booting RH and SuSe.

I plan on having an NIC in both boxes and hooking an RJ45 cable between the two but im not sure if this would be viable.

So could anyone provide me with any useful links that would be useful to me in setting this network up, or does anyone have any better suggestions for this network?

Sorry if im being a bit vague, i just havent done this before!

Im a pretty competent Linux user but ive never used BSD before, but ive got the FreeBSD handbook for that!

Thanks in advance to all that respond!

Cheers

Edit: If ive missed anything vital specs or details sorry, just let me know!

r3b007

did you want to use a crossover(twisted pair) cable?
    http://gccprinters.com/support/doc/crossover.html

Here is the FreeBSD Link...
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...book/isdn.html

If you are using a twisted pair crossover link then it should work just like a regular network (but only two computers) and the 2 boxes shouldn't have any problem seeing each other?

sorry if this isn't what you wanted... hope this helps...

-take it easy
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

It's a gas!
    Thanx for the reply tampabay420.
    Yeah i was thinking about a twisted pair crossover cable but then again im gonna need to hook up a cable modem, so either i could get another NIC or else get myself a hub.

I dont know which one of these options would be best, with regards to ease of setup and cost!

Im still browsing through the FreeBSD handbook, so ill get the info from that link you posted from that!

Anyone else???

Cheers

Banned
    another nic is 45 AUD
    hub is 90 AUD ... maybe 45 for cheap second hand one tho .... not that much diff, if u gots some monies to spare go the hub. <straight through cables for hub>

It's a gas!
    Yeah i know a NIC would be alot cheaper (£10) compared to a hub (£40), but ive got so many things to be doing with not enough time, that i would happily fork out the extra for a hub, if that meant a more hassle free time!

Would a hub be less hassle in this network, compared to an extra NIC?

And anyone else have any urls or advice on this?

Thanks again guys for the help, appreciated!

Banned
    well it depends....

how much hassle would installing drivers for a nic be =P

the hub is way easy, u install one nic per pc, plug and go.

the only downside so installing 2nics in one pc is the hassle <if you can call it that> of managing 2 nics at one time <setting ip's ... remembering which nics is which etc...>

they way i see it both are a sinch but the hub is a tad more easy i spose... don't have any links but i'm sure we can all help with network config of 2pcs, not the hardest thing.

hope i helped

It's a gas!
    I think im gonna just dive in a the deepend with all the h/w and see hw it goes.

And if i do have any further questions, ill let you guys know!

Thanks all for the help!

Cheers

r3b007