Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meet the New Owners

Hi,

AO is the best online community out there and the AP system keeps it balanced. If someone joins AO to bother throughout the forums, we can act as "judges" here and bann him/her if deserved taking the fourms back to normal again, as we have already done before. As anything in life AP system has its advantages and disadvantages but disadvantages are smaller compared to what AP system does to this site. Other sites than AO, without AP system, are NOTHING compared to AO, you have seen that in many sites that are stucked without an AP system or similar systems that tried to copy the AP system but doesn't function to them... but it does to AO and so, from my point of view, there's no reason to remove it.

By the way, welcome to AO JupMan (and the others admins too) and don't doubt in asking us about bugs, fixes or improvements here. We can be a "very helpful hand" if you need ideas for improvements or fixes. Many members have provided really good proposals. Although we love the site as it is now.

Bye,

DKRR

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hi Jupman. Welcome to AO.

Just a small issue here.....

There will be minor changes but we bought the site from JP because there is a community of professionals who come here for security information. We recognize the value of that community and we are going to be making sure the community has a good place to meet. Our primary business is selling advertising and running conferences, so you will soon start to see ads again. But no pop-ups or pop-unders (except at some point we may run a survey to ask you about your interests; that is so we can run the site better).
    I have earned the site's benefit of banner free surfing here. I hope that what you have said will NOT affect me. Do not forget that the members here on AO come from all over the globe, and that not everyone has a good fast connection. If the site will take longer to load due to more ads and stuff, well then thats very negative for many users.

You can expect to see ads from the major security firms. And we will work hard to make sure the ads aren't obtrusive. Our goal is to significantly improve the performance of the site. The ads will not slow it down.
    Make a seperate page for ads. Let the AO community have a choice. AO is not a place for commercials. This is one of the main issues that i and many others were really worried about.
    Do not forget that its us, the members of AO that keep AO What it is today, and not a company behind it.

One thing that will be added is server logs. I know that a long time ago, some members were concerned about them and so JP turned logging off. But we will be following the same privacy policy we have been using for years. We track server traffic solely for statistical reasons (to count traffic). If you're concerned about what that means, here is the privacy policy we have followed at our other sites and which we will use as we host the site...
    Fine by me, aslong as its not anything. like akamai technologies. (See the link below)
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ghlight=akamai

And why do you say there will be major changes. Do we have a voice on that, or will it be a company policy that just takes effect without our opinions.

Sorry for trying to pick out these issues from your post, but these issues are important to me, and many others too. I think a sudden and harsh change would not be good. If you are trying to make major profits from this site using ads, banners, and other things to come............. well that would really suck.

Please forgive me if i sound offensive, no offense intented. Just my thoughts.

Hey, once again, welcome to AO, and i hope to be reading some interesting security related posts from you

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Re: Meet the New Boss

Originally posted here by JupMan
    No, it's not Pete Townshend.

A few days ago, JP completed the sale of Antionline.com to Jupitermedia Corp. Most members probably know our company from using some of the sites we run on various high-tech topics. We currently serve more than 20 million monthly visitors at our sites, best known under the names of our two networks, internet.com and Earthweb. Among the sites we run are CodeGuru.com, Developer.com, ServerWatch.com, ScriptSearch.com and eSecurityPlanet.com. The list goes on and on.

First, to answer a question many have raised, the site will continue as a public message board. That's the reason we acquired it.

The transition of a site like this is a major undertaking, so you are likely to see minor changes happening gradually. Right now, our priority is to move it to a new, faster network provider and prepare a more powerful server to host it once it moves.

There will be minor changes but we bought the site from JP because there is a community of professionals who come here for security information. We recognize the value of that community and we are going to be making sure the community has a good place to meet. Our primary business is selling advertising and running conferences, so you will soon start to see ads again. But no pop-ups or pop-unders (except at some point we may run a survey to ask you about your interests; that is so we can run the site better).

You can expect to see ads from the major security firms. And we will work hard to make sure the ads aren't obtrusive. Our goal is to significantly improve the performance of the site. The ads will not slow it down.

We also hope to run a security seminar at some point in coming months where Antionline members will get a chance to meet in person and share expertise.

Right now, we're still trying to figure out how to improve the back-end. We are quite familiar with the mechanics and moderation issues that surround communities like this. But JP created a highly customized platform and he's told us that some of the performance issues you now experience are tied to that points system. So we are going to have to de-construct some of the code before we can optimize it. We may have to make changes to the features available to users, but it's too early to say.

One thing some users may not be happy about: we don't think the Chat server is the best use of the bandwidth. We will keep the Chat service running for a few more weeks, but our priority is to make the message board run more smoothly. When that is done, the Private Messages will be more useful because it should become relatively quick to log in and out of here. In consultation with JP and some other members, I think we will try to come up with some suggestions for an IRC host where members who agree to meet.

One thing that will be added is server logs. I know that a long time ago, some members were concerned about them and so JP turned logging off. But we will be following the same privacy policy we have been using for years. We track server traffic solely for statistical reasons (to count traffic). If you're concerned about what that means, here is the privacy policy we have followed at our other sites and which we will use as we host the site...
    http://www.internet.com/corporate/pr...acypolicy.html

We have much to do on our own end so we can get those performance upgrades online. But I wanted everyone to know who was taking over and what they had planned.

Finally, I'm not the only person involved. Now that the site is going to be supported by a company with a 24x7 IT department, we will also have other people involved in running the site. We're going to try and expand the roles that many volunteers have made, so that the site can be an even better resource for security professionals.

I'm sure you'll have other questions. We'll do our best to answer them.

- JupMan
    Hello
    As far as the AP system goes, one BIG sugggestion I can make is to allow people to leave a small comment as they are responding to an AP assignment. as far as the IRC server goes several members here run one, including me (if anybody knows WHY I'm getting Unknown directive set::scan in Unreal beta 13 please let me know, it's driving me nuts) so I'm sure we will figure something out before you take it down . This is a wonderful site, enjoy the ride.

You all sound like heroin addicts... NO NO don't take away my IRC, my life will have no meaning. heheheh just kidding..

welcome, blah, blah. I'm not one for formalities.... I also will reserve my opinion.

good luck.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Banned
    Greetings All:

As far as IRC goes, I'll be bringing that up on a different domain before the AntiOnline IRC server gets shut down.

Fear not! Heh.

So that this thread doesn't get off topic, I'll be making a new thread to give some info about my future plans.

Let's keep this thread as a nice, big, friendly "Welcome Jupiter Media" and as a Q&A thread for them as well

Banned
    i dont think i can live without it it would be like loosing my only son or something of that nature mabey a leg or small intestine we could all shift over to freenode or something of that nature.

to the subject of ads please for the love of god dont have those ones like on flashkit.com with all the bright lights etc they make my virgin eyes burn! burn! most of us dont go out side. just a thought

umm welcome again
    rioter