Thread: Computer Randomly Reboots

Computer Randomly Reboots

I have a dual boot computer, W2K and Debian and it keeps rebotting randomly.
    I have no idea what is causing this.

The case is properly cooled, I've checked the temp. under CMOS.

I've ran a multilmeter under the P1 connection and that is fine.

I don't think it is a virus, cause it does it under Debian.

I think it is hardware, but again, I'm not sure.

I am out of ideas, can anyone offer anything here?

thanks

Did you check your memory? Bad memory can mean all kinds of problems. Try DocMemory RAM Diagnostic Software 1.45a from http://download.com.com/3120-2001-0-...+test&ca=2001. Also, check out http://www.simmtester.com/ for more info about memory issues.

hope this helps

since you have already ruled out the heat idea, my next suggestion would be it is either your ram, double check to make sure it is seated properly, otherwise I would have to say your hard drive might be having some problems. your next best bet is to start switching out parts, power supply and so forth.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

If you dont have access to known-good parts, you could also try downloading a benchmarking/burn-in program here.

With PC Mark (at the link above) you can run tests on specific sub systems (heh, sounds like something from Star trek) and from that infer what part may be the culpit (by whatever test it is on when it crashes).

If you do have access to known-good parts though, take that route first, the method above is not very reliable, ie your memory being bad *may* cause other subsystems to malfunction.

do you have each o/s on a seperate hard drive or are they both on the same one?
    if theyre on seperate ones your h/d with debian might be on its way out

it might, as a real long shot but i think youve already checked, possibly be a loose power connection or a bad joint on your mobo or some other circuitry based thing?

it really does sound like it could be the RAM though, because it's restarting under both o/s's, if it was goin to be the hard drive it would most likely have more trouble with 1 o/s than the other theoretically as 1 o/s uses some sectors where others arent needed due to partitions and stuff...

thats about al i can think of, if you work it out tell us what it was so we know for anyone else who has a similar problem

<edit>
    also i forgot, but this thread may help you
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=237136
    </edit>

Thanks everyone for their help. I am greatful.

I did a check on the memory and ran a program called DocMem and it [bold] DID NOT [/bold]
    detect any errors.

SO...I have no idea what I am going to do now. I have two sticks of memory in here, and will take one out and see what happens and go from there.

I know the power supply checked out ok, due to the multimeter test that I ran.

Not sure what to do, never been faced with a challenge like this before.