Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network Traffic Monitoring

Question Network Traffic Monitoring

I'm looking for tools to monitor network traffic. I'm not looking for a protocol analyzer (sniffer). I already have what I need for packet decodes. (TCPdump, Ethereal, etc.) What I want is something that will give me a protocol breakdown. For example, I already have tools to tell me that traffic levels on a given network are at 20%. I want to get a graph of the breakdown of that traffic. How much of it is http? How much ftp? How much something else?

Any suggestions?

-- The Director

-- The Director

Have I got the perfect (hardware based) tool for you! I've got four of these bad boys and I love them. What you need is Packetshaper by Packeteer. They aren't cheap, but they do exactly what your asking for and a lot more. I rely heavily on mine. If you like, I can give you the contact information for the east coast sales engineer (I notice you are in Maryland) he's a hell of a great guy.

Yes, please. I tried going to their site, but it seems to be down, so I'd love the contact info.

-- The Director

I sent you a private message with all the info. Hope it helps!

----edit: 6:00 P.M. EST 14 Feb. Packeteer site is back up!

iptraf will do the work for you.. It simply sniffs traffic and gives you some numbers and statistics on the number / type of packets.

http://iptraf.seul.org/

Or of course you could throw together a quick PERL script that stored the stats of TCPdump in a flatfile in any format you want, this way you can generate charts, graphs or stats yourself.

;-)

Loyal.

http://www.lanscan.com/products/prodinfo_lanscannm.htm

although the screen shot on this page dosn't show it the "trends" tab shows you a graph
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    Have you looked into Multi Traffic Routing Grapher? Or, MRTG. Its not exactly real time like our Getif graphs,and it won't separate protocals, but its a easy way to get started on monitoring and graphing traffic in and out. Just a plan (b).
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

http://www.snifferpro.co.uk/

i haven't used this, ever, because it won't work with windows 2000 and a modem. but i have seen older versions that have this nifty "rev clock" for viewing bandwidth consumption, but the new version looks great i must say, so i did.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Sniffer Pro is pretty good too, although I still think Packetshaper will be a better fit based on what you originally said you are looking for. Of course, I took a look at iptraf (thanks to this thread) and that is certainly the cheaper solution. Packetshaper also does traffic prioritization, which you didn't mention needing but is a wonderful feature. If you want to take a look at Sniffer or Sniffer Pro, I can give you the contact information for that too. Can you tell I'm in the D.C. area and deal with vendors day in and day out?

There used to be a program running around or you could order called Netboy or something like that. It basically created a graph in realtime showing your network computers, their ips, the website or whatever they were connected to, and the protocol it was using at the time. It was a real sweet little tool. Might want to look into that also.
    Bolt actions speak louder than words.