Cyclic Redundancy Check error

Thread: Cyclic Redundancy Check error

Cyclic Redundancy Check error

I cannot copy a file of over 650kb from a floppy disk.
    The disk keeps turning and making disk accessing noises for a long time, then displays the Cyclic Redundancy Check error message.

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?
    All other files open ok, but i've not yet tried with other files over 650kb.
    Mama always said, keep your virus definitions up to date.

Your disk at a minimum has bad sectors (and might could be fixed with scan disk). It is probably going bad and you would be better off getting newer diskettes. Also keep them away from all magnetic sources (phones, monitors, televisions, speakers) and sources of dust. Man I am so glad I haven't had to use those in a while

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Pehaps try running scandisk against the disk (I think that can be done). CRC errors indicate a problem copying the file -perhaps bad data or some type of read error can it be copied on a different system?

Cheers,
    -D

<EDIT>

Posted at same time as nebulus200 -he beat me by seconds.

</EDIT>

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

I've just tried scan disk and some Norton thing, but no errors were reported. Is there any way I can get the file off the disk? it doesn't look like it.
    Mama always said, keep your virus definitions up to date.

nope... sorry
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

Originally posted here by djhuk
    I've just tried scan disk and some Norton thing, but no errors were reported. Is there any way I can get the file off the disk? it doesn't look like it.
    Try a different system -narrow it down to bad disk or bad drive.

Cheers,

-D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke