Thread: Spellcheck crashes my system

Spellcheck crashes my system

Whenever I'm doing a post and I spellcheck it not only crashes my browser but my entire computer. I have to do a full cold reboot before it recovers. It sits there for about ten minutes, then I do a CTRL-ALT-DEL and the dialogue box shows me everything in fine and dandy.....a few minutes later I do same and Explorer (Windows, not IE) is not responding and I have to reboot.

Any ideas? I'm running Win 98, Zonealarms Pro, Surfinshield, IE 6.0

Thanks

Rachel
    668 - the neighbor of the beast

If you are using Microsoft/products, nothing is explainable
    But anyway, i think it's your IE version. It has given me problems also.
    IE 5 or 5.5 was much more stable.

-inv
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

Yep, have the same problems. Only I don't have to fully reboot. And yes, I agree with invader, all Microsoft products sucks. The only advice i could give you is indeed trying to switch to IE5.5

Good luck!!
    Remember...the most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=298

The Iceman Cometh
    As a Microsoft user since DOS 2.0, I'm actually quite a fan of Microsoft products. That said, IE 6.0 is generally quite stable. If you are concerned that the problem is Internet Explorer, try upgrading to SP1. I actually believe that the problem you are experiencing may be Surfinshield or ZoneAlarm. You may be unintentially blocking the spellcheck. Check to ensure that you have configured your security tools properly. Also, check Microsoft for updates. I know Microsoft has released at least two fixes for Windows which fixed specific problems with Explorer crashing.

AJ

I don't agree with avdven,

Till now I was a real MS user (Switch today to Linux LOL) Anyway, I've updated with SP1 and still had the same problem. I didn't use Zonealarm or Surfinshield. Also I check regular for updates on IE6.0. Still, I believe trying to switch to IE5.5 One of the reason is that it was very stable in use. But this just my opinion.

The Iceman Cometh
    It's also possible that you (and hardball) simply have your Internet Security settings in IE set too high. If you have them set to too high of a level (above Medium for the Internet zone), it's quite possible your blocking the spell check from running. If you are really worried about your spelling, why not type your post in Word (or another word processor) and just copy it over? I personally never run the spell check on my posts (I just review it after I've typed it to look for errors), but, the few times I did, I never had a problem. It's not something on the site, so it has to do with your computer. As I said, check all of your settings to ensure you're not blocking something you shouldn't be.

AJ

I agree with you *avdven* that if the settings in IE is set to high you might having troubles with spellcheck. So i did a check, nope still got a *hang* . But as you say, when necessary I do a spellcheck simple in Word (Works great for me)

Actually my security is set with low (yes I know it's unwise but I have to have it set that way because I use a Java based CMS to work from home and it isn't happy with any restrictions.)
    My sandbox and firewall aren't showing any errors either. I think maybe it's just an incompatibility thing and I should just use a dictionary instead! Thanks for the advice though.

R.
    668 - the neighbor of the beast

Let the security settings be low.
    Let no software run in your computer than IE.
    Give it 512 RAM.
    Give it 2 GigaHertz.

Summary : Microsoft sucks bugtime.
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

Yeah I would agree, I had some problems in the past until I upgraded to IE 6. Yeah I know, but hey if it's a free upgrade why not anyway right?
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]