Thread: Hosting Q

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Hosting Q

I know someone posted a thread about this *recently*, but search as I may, I can't find it.
    So, if anyone knows of a banner-free, free hosting service, could you let me know please?

Thank you very much.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

I use www.fateback.com. They are a little on the slow side, but i think they are in the process of updateing their bandwidth. But, they don't allow anything like PHP, Perl, ASP, ColdFusion, SSI, .htaccess, etc.

Do a search from http://www.free-webhosts.com/. It's a really nice directory of free hosts and you can specify what u want. They are usually pretty up to date too.

Hope This Helps,
    ~SonicDragon
    http://sonicdragon.fateback.com
    Bringing a Little Fun to Tech!

Hmm, you could also check out HostUltra. They offer a nice free package, which I will paste here to save u the trip in making a decision

Unlimited Data Transfer
    Unlimited Disk Space
    100mbps Network Connection
    99.9% Uptime
    Free Sub Directory ( hostultra.com/~you )
    Free Domain Hosting ( yourdomain.com )
    Custom Domain DNS Control ( A/CNAME/MX Records )
    Browser and FTP Uploading
    PHP
    Hosting for Unlimited Domains w/ Unlimited Subdomains
    Free Search Engine Submission
    100% Free!

or possibly t35 which has many similar features...

35 MB of Space Free
    Unlimited Space (accounts created before 02/15/03)
    FTP Access
    No Ad Banners or Ad Frames
    Unlimited Bandwidth / Hits!
    Super Fast hosting!
    PHP / SSI Support
    24-7 Tech. Support
    Free Domain Name Hosting
    99.9% Up Time
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

I don't know of any baner-less web host but I have a sugestion. A while ago I got interested in web development, I was useing netfirms as my host, but then I had the idea that seting up my own web server would not be that dificult. I dont know in your case if this is an option. You could download a free web server such as KeyFocus Web server, http://www.keyfocus.net/kfws/ and with this you can set up php, cgi, ... and this way there are no advertisements unless you put them there. Not sure if this is off topic but I thought I might mention it.

I used keyfocus web server for two months and was very impressed. They have implemented many security features and seem to respond to bug reports prity quick and efectively.

Banned
    I know everyone knows this one, but GEOCITIES is quite good, it only has a tiny banner popup in the corner that can be closed easily, its a shame about the fairly long urls though
    e.g. www.geocities.com/yourname.
    Also you can try Brinkster.com its gives you an url like, www27.brinkster.com/yourname