Hi,

This is a pretty little tutorial about checking your e-mails using the telnet command and POP3 protocol.

Note: I looked for a tutorial about this throughout the forums but i couldn't find one about receiving e-mails, just about sending them. If there is already one made, then please just tell me and i will erase this tutorial, no prob.

Steps to follow:

1 - Go to Start/Run and type:

telnet (your server address) 110

example: telnet adinet.com.uy 110

Note: the command console will prompt and you should see this (depending on your server address): +OK POP3 server ready <numbers> <more numbers @correo.adinet.com.uy> or you should just see this: +OK ready

2 - then type:

user (and your username)

example: user antionliner

Note: you should see this: +OK Password required

3 - so type:

pass (your e-mail password)

example: pass j34yhp7go5r

Note: you should see this: +OK (and number of e-mails) for example: +OK 10 messages

4 - To see the e-mails received type:

list

Note: you should see all the messages listed with its respectives numbers and sizes.

5 - To see the content of a determined e-mail write:

top (e-mail number) and (number of lines you want to see of that e-mail)

example: top 1 10

Note: you should see the e-mail content

That's all. Then:

6 - To delete a determined message write:

dele (and the e-mail number)

example: dele 1

Note: you should see this: +OK message 1 deleted

Note: After typing something you obviously should hit "Enter". Besides, if you open the command console and you don't see what you are typing it seems you have the "echo local" option deactivated, so go to the terminal/console preferences and activate it. There is no need to do this in Windows XP.

Well, this could be really useful if you're in a hurry and you need to check your e-mails real fast and you can't wait that your e-mail client (Outlook Express for example) download your e-mails from the server and (in that exact moment) an e-mail with a 1 MB attachment is preventing you from seeing the rest of your e-mails still in the server until the "big" attachment is fully downloaded.

Hope it helps,

DKRR