Thread: Opinions on Red Hat 12 month product life

Post Opinions on Red Hat 12 month product life

Im in support of Red Hat regardless of their choice to have a 12 month product life.
    http://www.badconnections.net/portal...3e4251d2d83cf&
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Computer Forensics
    well,
    I am a full supporter of redhat (except for 8 which is trash IMO). but compared to openbsd's 6 month product life. 12 months is nothing.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

"General Linux Discussions - Give Red Hat a Break!! Im sick to death lately of all this talk that Red Hat is becoming like Microsoft"

have you ever seen any other Distro of Linux that costs 200 dollars?

Antionline Herpetologist
    I totally support RedHat in this issue. It's their product and they can do what they want with their support policy. However, I really feel that RedHat is turning into bloatware. Compared to RedHat, just see how fast Slackware boots. Alright, Slackware isn't prefect but it's kept the whole spirit of Linux alive. So, I must say that my opinions on RedHat being compared with MS are mixed. Also,

have you ever seen any other Distro of Linux that costs 200 dollars?
    Have you ever seen a version of Windows that can be downloaded for free and one that anyone can burn to a cd and sell it for whatever they like?
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Originally posted here by cgkanchi
    I totally support RedHat in this issue. It's their product and they can do what they want with their support policy. However, I really feel that RedHat is turning into bloatware. Compared to RedHat, just see how fast Slackware boots. Alright, Slackware isn't prefect but it's kept the whole spirit of Linux alive. So, I must say that my opinions on RedHat being compared with MS are mixed. Also,

Have you ever seen a version of Windows that can be downloaded for free and one that anyone can burn to a cd and sell it for whatever they like?
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    I completely agree with you concerning the speed of Slackware over Red Hat, Mandrake, and SuSE, but the thing is that those three distros are so much easier to use than Slackware. I mean they have easy configuration utilities, very simple installers, a great deal more hardware support, and of course the very easy to use Red Hat package manager. Not only this, but they have a version of apt-get for Red Hat now too, which solves a lot of the dependency problems associated with rpms. When you want to add new hardware when using Red Hat, it has a detection utility. In slackware you will be editing text files. Red Hat automatically configures sound, In Slackware you have to do this manually. When you add new software, you have to compile it from source, which no matter what anyone says, takes longer than using rpms. Im the kind of person who uses linux everyday and these little differences are a big deal when you are trying to get things done quickly and efficiently. Of course knowing how to do things the hard way is useful, but ask even linux veterans and they will agree, the easier the better.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

I think that Red Hat is getting better. Easy to install, easy to use, easy to learn.

People say that they are becoming the m$ of the *nix world... they might be right. m$ must have done something right to dominate damn near the whole desktop market. What they did right, was making it easier to use the operating system.

How do you expect linux to gain more users if it is too hard or too much work for Joe User to figure out? Not all people are as technically inclined as we are. Most people who use a computer don't want to read on how to configure everything. They want point and click and don't care how and why it works.

Red Hat 8 was aimed at making it easier for the user.
    They still have some more work to do if they want to make it better for desktop users.
    Linux is great for a server, but as a desktop OS... I'd hate to be on the end of the helpdesk line...

EDIT: I just read this and thought it was appropriate. Pretty phunny too!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

well redhat make an extremely good product whether there's support for it in the long run or not, being open source it doesnt really need much in the way of 'official' support since people can modify the source of it if they need to to patch some security hole or something, if anything this could be seen as a good pint as it would encourage more of the open source philosophy to take place, many people contributing their own ime to improve on something that is already good for people to start learning *NIX on

i know there are other distro's apart from redhat like slackware and mandrake etc etc...
    but redhat seems to be the most widely known distro IMHO, its sorta in between being full GUI like windoze and command based like true UNIX systems, you really get the best of both worlds with it no matter how long each version is supported for, you learn yet at the sme time you dont get frustrated with learing so many commands all at once