Category: Application (Security)
    Underlying OS: Windows (Any)
    https://register.envestonline.com/en...256CCC0059A7D9

A vulnerability was reported in Norton Anti-Virus. The scanner may fail
    to provide anti-virus protection after loading a corrupt anti-virus
    definition file. The definition file for February 11, 2003 distributed by
    Symantec was reportedly corrupt.
    -
    Users that downloaded the corrupt file from Symantec may be affected.
    -
    According to the report, manual steps are required to load working
    definitions and return to normal operations.

Thanks for the heads up!

They have released another update dated Feb 12th 2k3.

According to the report, manual steps are required to load working
    definitions and return to normal operations.
    I had the def. for Feb 11th 2k3 and I had no problem making sure that my AV software worked. I just downloaded a virus and it alerted me.

All I had to do was to simply update to the newest virus def.
    Maybe that won't work for everyone...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Possibly another reason not to use Norton....???
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Possibly another reason not to use Norton....???
    KorpDeath: What do you use or what would you suggest for m$ users?

I use both linux and m$.... however I don't have AV for linux. Should I? I don't really download stuff... just use it as my server and keep it up to date. I will map to it and do a scan remotely from a m$ box, but not sure if those defs. will find *nix viruses...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I downloaded the newest virus definitions and it worked for me as well. I haven't had a problem with norton's as of yet.

Dream as if you are going to live forever, live as if you were going to die today.

No one ever got fired for using McAfee. I use it at home, however I don't use the on-access crap. The less running in the systray, the better. IMHO

Then again panda is pretty good. f-prot works.

Trend Micro for 2000 servers and exchange servers, works well. I've never had any issues with it.

I don't have *nix anti-virus software running on my system. I'm less concerned with virus, more concerned with people.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

FEB 11 NAV DEF

I have the Feb 11n update...after reading this thread D\L'ed several viruses and trojans and caught each and everyone of them...was this only for the updated viruses...and if so...how do we get a list without going to NORTON'S

I agree with KorpDeath.....Personally, I use Trend Micro's PC-Cillan. . I've used McAfee, and Norton, and I'm much happier now that I use PC-Cillan!

Trendmicro.com
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce