stupid security measures

Thread: stupid security measures

Question stupid security measures

I couldnt decide if I should post this here or in tech humor so I just chose here cause it is a valid discussion.

the organization has announced a Stupid Security Awards , an international competition to discover the world's most "pointless, intrusive, stupid and self-serving security measure."

Full source here

What are some of the dumbest security measures the AO community has seen or actually practiced?
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

The last the thing the world needs now is yet another award for stupidity. But because it's security related I'll let that slide.

Signing the back of your credit cards....that one always baffled me.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

It amy be security related, but stupidity is not something we should acknowledge, or for the matter, celebrate and be proud of. Come on people, let's get our priorities straight.

str34m3r
    One of my (least) favorites is the javascript that disables right-clicking. I mean, what does that really do for you? Nothing. It just means they have to move the mouse up to the main menu bar to do whatever they were trying to do in the first place. No real protection added, just annoyance.

KorpDeath read my mind!! I find that Credit Cards in General have no security around them.

Not only signing the back (which no one checks anyway) but also using the CC Number located on the front for transactions? And what do companies use to verify CC transactions? The expiry date, which is also located on the front!

ALso, dont you hate it when the shops have their power down for something and they have to use that old stupid sliding thing where they put in that carbon paper? Im always worried what the fool behind the couter is actually doing with my CC details!!
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

That's why you ask them nicely to give you the carbon paper and you shred it in front of them and throw it away somewhere else.

I knew some jokers that gleaned CC numbers that way. They'd even rip the carbon paper up for people and then just reassemble the pieces later to get the info. It worked for a while because they worked at an electronics store. But eventually, the FBI showed up at their door. They got a matching pair of bracelets...(*clink* *clink*)
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Hrm, I'm not sure this is security related, but as we're on the topic of credit cards, I worked at a bank for several years. If I had a dollar for everytime someone called to say their cc/ATM card had been stolen... But having them stolen wasn't enough for most of these folks. You tell them not to panic, we will cancel the card, blah blah blah....and inevitably, you get the response "But.....I had my PIN number written on the back of the card!!" As if signing them isn't bad enough....What kind of person WRITES their PIN number on the back of the corresponding card?!

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Credit card security is lax because of the consumers. They want convenience and aren't worried about "A few bucks." After all they are only liabel for a minimal amount if their card is lost or stolen. Very few people either know or care about the amount of money that is stolen by credit card loss or forgery, but they would if they realized how it effected the cost of their cost of merchandise.

I am actually worried about a newer electronic fraud technique called "Transaction Theft" and the effects it could have on the credit card industry which is transaction based.