Thread: New Exams for MCSE on Windows Server 2003 Track

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

New Exams for MCSE on Windows Server 2003 Track

For all those interested in MS certs, I came across an article that discusses the new structure. I kinda feel ripped off because when I got my cert, it was actually worth something. Today, the circus of "training" outfits have made the cert a joke. Anybody else feel the same way?

Soap box dismounted, rant over

http://www.mcpmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=549

I just got my MCP welcome kit in the mail today! I passed the 210 exam about a week ago. I went through "training" classes and they helped alot but I took the test right after I finished the class and failed it. That was a year ago and I've been studying ever since. The classes kinda tell you exactly what the questions will be but I think the test are hard enough that you actually have to know what your doing in order to pass. I hope they're not a joke because I'm working my butt off to make sure I know the things I gotta know to pass them. I never want to loose another $125.

Have MCP, MCSA, or MCSE certifications helped anyone on this board get a better job? I'm going to get mine either way just for personal satisfaction but I'd really like to know if there are any true success stories.
    Why take the stairs when you can just fall?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    A few years back, the MS cert was a sure thing for a good job. Just like years back when the Novell certs were solid gold. Does anyone have any of these sheets of toilet paper like I do?

Four to Five years ago, out of maybe 20 applicants, we would see possibly 1 MSCE. Today, everyone comes in with an MS cert of some sort and usually the CCNA cert as well. From what I can tell, and others who I work with in the industry, the value of the MS certs and the low level Cisco certs have significantly diminished. I can tell you that I have seen MCSEs that I wouldn't qualify as bench techs. Most of the places offering the certs are teaching you how to take a test, not how to solve problems in the real world.

The certs that do have some punch (from what I have seen) are the CCNE, CISSP and as of late, computer forensic certs.

My two cents...
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thanks. I'm gonna look into the cisco stuff.
    Why take the stairs when you can just fall?

I do interviewing and I can say that if the person interviewing you really knows their stuff, having an MCSE alone will not get you through an interview. In some cases companies will only look at you if you have an MCSE, but if the people doing the hiring have any common sense they will know that the certs are not worth that much.

I'd take my years of experience over a cert anyday. Of course, I have the MS certs because work pays for it, and I got a nice bonus for getting it.