Thread: Network Speed?

Network Speed?

Im thinking of networking 2 Computers With a Cable Modem, will this slow down my computer?

definately won't slow down your computer.... if you constantly have both computers downloading or transferring data over the Internet, then you might get high pings on some things, but it'll probably be fine.

i have three computers on my network right now... two are for my brother and sister, who just chat, and the other is for me, which is the downloads and gaming and whatnot. i get a decent ping from most servers, so i wouldn't worry too much about it.
    i will shoot you so hard.

Just Adding on to what he said...

2 computers on a cable modem isn't going to be a problem. since the pipe is shared with other households that would eat up more (usually) then just having one other computer connected to your side. If you are looking at the game aspect of it, if you are able to send and receive data at 20k/s you should not have any problems with ping times (although routing is sometimes an issue with cable). As far as a performance hit on your system, theres really no chance of it unless you don't trust the other user, but I doubt this is the issue. Sorry if I rambled on, its getting late, and I wanted to at least get my first post on this site. Been helped so much in the last day, thought I would try to give out a little bit of info.

Yeah if you're worried about the Internet being slower, let me tell you it's not that bad. I have one computer that is on Kazaa all the time searching for something, my computer that I use, a frien'ds computer that is always at my hosue (along with his laptop), and I can remote desktop into my computer and FTP into it and it becomes a little sluggish, but not that bad. So speed isn't a big worry on cable, especially if you live in an area that doesn't have many users. I live just outside my town, so I guess I must be on a different gateway, I know someone who lives in town and it's about 75% of what I have. We use Adelphia cable Internet.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

I say go for it! What's a decent tech that doens't have at least 2 or three systems running on a home network, with internet connection!
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

Im pretty sure if you throw a switch in the mix, instead of a hub, you'll utilize your full bandwith potenial.....
    Im Chris Bartholomew - 18 Years old

TSeNg
    questions? Cxbartholomew@yahoo.com

Banned
    sharing the bandwidth isn't so bad on cable.
    all it means is that if u both download stuff at the same time it'l take twice as long as if you were only downloading on the one comp.
    how important are your download rates?

Yes, I agree with ACIDDRIVE (Whom I Know personally) - I use the same connection he uses - and I'm in a town a bit smaller than his (mainly with a bunch of old folks that don't even know what a computer is) - I think there are only about 10 other's on my gateway - maybe less. I have a main computer - a cisco switch router - and a laptop that I run all on the same cable connection - I have no speed dropoff at all with both computers hooked up. I also remote desktop in - not the fastest connection when remoting in - but it works.

I've seen ACIDDRIVE's setup often - and can verify what he speaks of - no speed dropoff for just a few computers.

Thanks for the help I Got everythign done no problem and i dont even notice 2 computers running from my cable modem.