Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 yr old arrested

The Recidivist

Exclamation 11 yr old arrested

This is something I ran across @ 2600. Thought you might find this interesting.

NAUGHTY HACKER, 11 YEARS OLD, CHARGED WITH FELONY IN "SCHEME TO DEFRAUD"
    Posted 13 Feb 2003 22:00:04 UTC
    An 11-year old student at St. Lucie West Middle School in Florida, has been charged with a felony for attempting to change his grades.

In a clear misapplication of the law, the child, who has not been named, was charged with an offense against intellectual property. It's hard to imagine how changing a grade is any kind of affront to any human being's "intellectual property," but this is what has been claimed, according to the Associated Press.

Helen Roberts
    Legal semantics aside, the ordeal demonstrates a disdainfully low level of understanding and tolerance among school and city officials. Helen Roberts, the school's principal, recommended that the boy be expelled. Ellen Mancini, an assistant state attorney in Florida, called the boy's actions a "scheme to defraud."

Throughout history, in all cultures, youth have been allowed to make mistakes in judgment -- and learn from those mistakes -- as part of growing up. It's a kind of instinctual hacking. In today's panic-stricken U.S.A. however, the supposed rules of childhood become more erratic by the day, and the concept of "zero tolerance" gains increasing ground.

"It's as much a fraud as anything else," Mancini spouted. The student was booked into the St. Lucie County jail on Wednesday.
    hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Did the kid do something wrong? Yes.

Does the punishment fit the crime? Hell no.

Suspend the kid for a couple of days, chalk it up to a bad decision, and move on. I can't beleive the freakin' state attorney thinks that.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

Hey,

just as a helpful tip when posting the source, put the whole adress ie: http://www.2600.com (even though im sure most people knew where to go) and also the link to the story

i wonder if he was trying to go by the handle ZeroCool as well LOL ok bad joke sorry :\ just came to mind .. sounded funny to me at the time

in any case its still dumb what happen to him especially for something like that

You gotta be kiding me!
    Hell, didn't you know hacking is an act of terrorism?! He should have been sent to camp X-Ray with those other 11 year old terrorist!

I can't beleive they actually jailed an 11 years old for trying to change his grades. Morons.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

dude sorry to say, but I think this was already posted; http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=239954
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

"Sometimes, you have to do things as an example of the authority of both the school system and the legal system."
    Yeah, and you should be laught at by everyone for having computers so insecure a 11 years old can walk in a change his grades.

Heh, sorry for the ranting, but it really enrages me when I see/hear of such stupidity.

Ammo

That is a very stupid thing to do, but I think we should be thankful that he isn't out running IRC-DoS bots or doing stupid crap.
    Also, hasn't Florida heard of minors? Arresting an 11 year old is a bit harsh.

Personally, working for a school with electronic grades, I can see how easy it could be, they just don't believe that kids that age can have any knowledge for this sort of thing, so the security is there, but the teachers leave it wide open. Personally, I believe that the majority of teachers lack any common knowledge. I don't know how many times I've walked past an open computer that was logged into a teachers' report card files. Basically, I think the students should've been suspended. NOT EXPELLED, but I think that the teachers actions should be looked into as well. The sentence DOES NOT fit the crime!
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

Did the kid actually crack the school's network and change the grades...or just go up to the box and try to change his grades?

Either way he shouldn't be charged with a FELONY! 11 years old?! He doesn't even know where babies come from yet! This is disgusting.

Ignorant, paranoid, worthless people...

Well I happen to admin a school with computerized grades, and I don't let computer illeterate teachers ruine my security. Desktops lock out after 10 minutes idle, I enforce strong passwords and the grading system can't be accessed from computers exposed to students. I mean, lax security is as much the fault of IT, managment and the users. I'd be ashamed if was an admin there.

Ammo